Did you mean: 

Snapping to Centerline of Pipe Hanger

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
khensleyD5W5Z
176 Views, 2 Replies

Snapping to Centerline of Pipe Hanger

This may be the wrong place, so I will cross post,  but we have been working on a training model for our field guys to use our Trimble RTS-773 for laying out tie-in points and hanger locations. The training started with a point cloud where we modeled a fire water tie-in, some beams and hangers. Given that plant3d doesn't have a Trimble Field Point add-in, we moved the model to normal AutoCAD. From there I can place trimble points at the bottom of flange but I can't snap to the centerline of our pipe hanger rods that come down from bottom of flange. The hangers in the model were automatically converted from plant3d objects to  Block References. I exploded the block reference to a 3d solid, however I'm still failing to snap to the centerline perpendicular to the bottom of flange. I was able to put the trimble point on the center of the top of hanger bolt but now am struggling to ortho move it to the bottom of flange without it snapping to a quadrant of the hanger rod. Any help in appreciated.

This may be the wrong place, so I will cross post,  but we have been working on a training model for our field guys to use our Trimble RTS-773 for laying out tie-in points and hanger locations. The training started with a point cloud where we modeled a fire water tie-in, some beams and hangers. Given that plant3d doesn't have a Trimble Field Point add-in, we moved the model to normal AutoCAD. From there I can place trimble points at the bottom of flange but I can't snap to the centerline of our pipe hanger rods that come down from bottom of flange. The hangers in the model were automatically converted from plant3d objects to  Block References. I exploded the block reference to a 3d solid, however I'm still failing to snap to the centerline perpendicular to the bottom of flange. I was able to put the trimble point on the center of the top of hanger bolt but now am struggling to ortho move it to the bottom of flange without it snapping to a quadrant of the hanger rod. Any help in appreciated.

khensleyD5W5Z_0-1724167749965.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Patchy
in reply to: khensleyD5W5Z

Autocad doesn't have the intersection at that point, you can get around it by subtracting out the hanger then you can get the center points.

Slice it.JPG

Message 3 of 3
khensleyD5W5Z
in reply to: Patchy

That is what I had to do. I ultimately put hangers where they belonged, exploded them to 3d solids, exploded the beams to 3d solids and subtracted the hangers from the beams and put a new hanger in the same location (location was marked by a construction line to the center of the pipe). Thank you for the input. it opened the gate to the final process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report