Did you mean: 

Setting up default Units and save in the new Templates

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2994 Views, 4 Replies

Setting up default Units and save in the new Templates

Hi all,

When I open my Autocad, units are setted up by default always in "UNITLESS", doesnt matters the Template that I open. 

I would like to set up by default in Meters. Also, when I change units to meters, I create a Template and I save it, the units becomes in unitless when I open again. I tried to open theses templates in othe computers, but they are in unitless aswell.

I have tried everithing and I can't change it.

If is some clue, when I change Options>User Preferences>Insertion Scale>Target Drawing Units to meters and I open autocad again this option become to unitless again.

Some idea??

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
StephenThomasGrace
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

The INSUNITS variable is stored in the drawing. This is the one that is set when you type UNITS and set the "insertion scale".

The variable you are talking about is the INSUNITSDEFTARGET which is supposed to be saved in the registry.... not the drawing.

As long as you have the INSUNITS set to meters (or anything but Unitless) in the current drawing, the INSUNITSDEFTARGET is ignored.

This works the same for the other variable INSUNITSDEFSOURCE.

As long as the block you are inserting has its INSUNITS set, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE is ignored.

Now just because you are supposed to have control over these variables doesn't necessarily mean you do.

If you (or your administrator) have any customized startup lisp files running, these variable can easily be overridden.

The acad.dwt file default INSUNITS is inches

The acadiso.dwt file default INSUNITS is millimeters.

Hope that is of some help!

-steve 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: StephenThomasGrace

Thanks Steve for your answer.

For example, when I start a drawing with acadiso.dwt, my units have unitless value, but in other computers starts in milimeters. I tried all the commands that you suggested me, but any of them keep the units saved when I start again.

I have some templates in meters, and I want that they set up the units in meters once you open it in any computer.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: StephenThomasGrace

Thanks Steve for your answer.

For example, when I start a drawing with acadiso.dwt, my units have unitless value, but in other computers starts in milimeters. I tried all the commands that you suggested me, but any of them keep the units saved when I start again.

I have some templates in meters, and I want that they set up the units in meters once you open it in any computer.

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
StephenThomasGrace
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

When you specifically open up your acadiso.dwt file:

Open > Change to files of type "Drawing Template (*.dwt)"

What folder does it take you to?

The normal template location is usually locally stored.

For example mine are here:

C:\Users\GraceS\appdata\local\autodesk\autocad 2014\r19.1\enu\template

I have seen where administors have pointed the templates (as well as plot styles, sheetsets, etc.) to a shared network location for standardization.

Check your

Options > Files tab > Template settings

to make sure you are actually using the templates you have saved.

(And make sure QNEW is not set to use a "Unitless" template file)

AutoCAD is so customizable, that there could be many reasons for it to act unexpectedly.

An accaddoc.lsp or menu lisp file can change a drawing settings as soon as you open it.

Make sure there are no lisp files interfering with  INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFTARGET and INSUNITSDEFSOURCE.

-steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report