6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
moise.ntirenganya
23674 Views, 6 Replies

SCALE WITHOUT CHANGING DIMENSIONS

Hello,

I have question here !

How can I scale drawing  and make them bigger without changing their dimensions in model space.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

>> How can I scale drawing and make them bigger

>> without changing their dimensions in model space.

You can use XRef and insert the source drawing into a new drawing and set the scale for the XRef to the value you need.

Besides of that ... I would never want to have any geometry in the modelspace that shows dimension values that are not true/show values different from the measured distance/angles.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
S.Faris
in reply to: moise.ntirenganya

Hi Moise,

As Alfred mentioned I am also not recommending you to do such a thing unless it is something that's unavoidable for some reason.

Option-1

1. Select all the elements that you want to scale (drawing elements+dimension etc...)
  2. Convert it into a block(Type B(enter) provide a name and select a basepoint)
  3. now you can scale the drawing and the dimension value stays same(but dimension size will get scaled too)

Option-2

1. Select all the elements that you want to scale (drawing elements+dimension etc...)
  2. Scale it to what ever scale you want to scale it to(Lets say x2times)
  3. Now filter and select all the dimensions scaled
  4. Go to properties and under Primary units section change the value of Dimension scale linear to half of what it is now(if it is 1.0 ->change it to 0.5).

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 4 of 7
scot-65

An extension to Mr. Faris option #2:

Investigate DIMLFAC.

Take note of the scale factor one used to scale up the drawing.
Inverse that number to set DIMLFAC.
Command -DIMSTYLE "Apply" and select the desired dimensions.
[notice the hyphen "-" in front of the command name].
DIMSCALE remains unchanged.

Example:
Scale the drawing up 6 times.
The inverse is 1/6 or 0.166667.
Set DIMLFAC to 0.166667 - (setvar 'DIMLFAC (/ 1.0 6))
-DIMSTYLE "Apply".

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 5 of 7
neaton

Are you scaling the because the drawing units are incorrect? If so, use the -DWGUNITS command to change to the correct units. AutoCAD can change the drawing units without changing the drawing elements; watch the command prompts for whether to scale the drawing elements or not.

Nancy

@moise.ntirenganya wrote:

Hello,

I have question here !

How can I scale drawing  and make them bigger without changing their dimensions in model space.

Message 6 of 7

Dear Alfred,

Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 7

To Scale without changing the dimensions of your drawing, follow these steps:

Step1 : Select the objects that you want to scale.

Step2 : Select the Scale tool from modify toolbar or Type “scale” in the command line and press Enter.

Step3 : Specify a base point for the scaling operation.

Step4 : Enter the scale factor that you want to use. Press Enter to complete the scaling operation.

Step5 : Go to Annotation –> Dimension Style Manager –> New –> Give New Style Name (Scale2)–> Click “Continue” –> Primary Units –> Enter Scale Factor value –> Click “OK” –> Click “Close”.

(Note: Scale factor Value = 1/Scale )

Step6 : Now Select all the dimensions –> Go to Annotation –> Select new Created Style (Scale2).
You can see all the dimensions are now at original scale.

Learn More..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost