Did you mean: 

Revolve command acts differently between Splines and Polylines

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
omikron24
877 Views, 4 Replies

Revolve command acts differently between Splines and Polylines

Hello, I stumbled across a weird behavior of Revolve command that is unexpected and pretty annoying.  File is attached.

If I create a simple closed object with polylines - a 5 by 5 units  square for example, then I can simply revolve it around it's own edge to create a cylinder of 10 by 5 units.

If I create it with splines then I can't revolve it around it's edge anymore. Revolve just cancels as soon as I select desired axis. However revolve is still possible if I select axis a little bit further from the edge.

This creates 5 problems even with simplest parts:

1. The cylinder (or any object created by revolving) - has a hole in the middle.

2. The cylinder (or any object created by revolving) - is bigger since this hole has diameter. If my initial "spline square" had 5 by 5 unit size and my revolving axis was 1 unit apart from the edge, then my cylinder will be 12 by 5 units  instead of desired 10 by 5 units.

3. If consider this prior to designing a part hole stills needs to be patched afterwards which impacts workflow.

4. If part precision is desired and it contains curves - they become deformed and precision is lost.

5. Patching hole creates flat surface which is visible and needs additional finishing after part was produced.

I know that it is possible to convert splines to polylines but it introduces own problems especially if precision is required.

1. For example even if I use 0 precision I get a sh**load of mesh lines after revolving a large part.

2. Even if I try to ignore "mesh overload" - my hardware can't and it has a very significant impact on performance.

Does anybody know why REVOLVE acts like that and how to change this behavior if possible?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

In my opinion, splines are just plain bad and shouldnt be used for anything ever.  They are only good for a picture. If you need precision, you need to use a polyline.  It has to do with how the spline is handled by the software, the control points and such.    I dont know that I can provide a very good explanation of the difference.

Here is what some say on the subject:

I like this explaination:

https://www.landfx.com/kb/autocad-fxcad/features/item/4058-splines.html

You can search on Google for the differences between the two.

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 5
neaton
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

If you must use a spline, create a REGION from it and revolve the region.

Nancy

Message 4 of 5
omikron24
in reply to: neaton

YOU!

I like you! 😃

Message 5 of 5
SEANT61
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

Prior to AutoCAD 2007, the spline toolbox was very weak.  Now the workflow just need's additional training.

Some general statements could be:  If you get by with a polyline, use a polyline.  If you need splines, use splines.

A Spline is the only way to draw a true Parabola (Vertical Curve), where AutoCAD can acquire an accurate Perpendicular and/or Tangent Osnap.  Behind the scenes, AutoCAD uses NURBS/Spline mechanics for much of their standard AutoCAD entities (Helix, Lofts, Network, Blend, Patch, etc.).

@chriscowgill7373 wrote:

. . . .

I like this explaination:

https://www.landfx.com/kb/autocad-fxcad/features/item/4058-splines.html . . . .

That link is suspect.  I'm surprised the author didn't claim his car started getting worse gas mileage since his first introduction to splines, and their use in a drawing is the reason his unwed daughter got pregnant. 

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost