Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restrain zoom extents in modelspace

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
glennQUAXD
363 Views, 3 Replies

restrain zoom extents in modelspace

how can I restrain or limit the extents when using 'zoom' ' extents' or when changing 'UCS' "plan' 'current' ?

I am working on large area layouts with objects several hundred kilometres away, set in World coordinates.  I have no control over the area that these files are originally created and often need to work across several different parts of the overall layout. Each time I need only to work in a 2km radius. It's this 2 km radius, or box, that I want to restrain the zoom extents too. I've tried setting limits, but this seems to have no effect on 'zoom' 'extents' or when changing UCS/plan/current.

Regards Glenn

Labels (6)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: glennQUAXD
Message 3 of 4
imadHabash

Hi,

I suggest to try and use opening partially the drawing. It's especially used for big projects. >> Click << 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Kent1Cooper

@glennQUAXD wrote:

.... It's this 2 km radius, or box, that I want to restrain the zoom extents too. I've tried setting limits, but this seems to have no effect on 'zoom' 'extents' or when changing UCS/plan/current.

For that part, set limits to define the area you want, and Zoom to them, not to the Extents.  There's no overt option within the Zoom command to Zoom to the limits, so do this:

ZOOM (getvar 'limmin) (getvar 'limmax)

Or, with greater sophistication, here's the command I use:

(defun C:ZL (); Zoom Limits
  (setvar 'cmdecho 0)
  (if (> (getvar 'cmdactive) 0); [not transparent if not needed]
    (command "_.'zoom" "_non" (getvar 'limmin) "_non" (getvar 'limmax)); then
    (command "_.zoom" "_non" (getvar 'limmin) "_non" (getvar 'limmax)); else
  ); if
  (setvar 'cmdecho 1)
  (princ)
)

That can be used transparently [i.e. inside another command] by typing 'ZL with the apostrophe prefix.  And it is not affected by running Object Snap modes.

[I would have it always include the ' before the command, rather than check whether a command is active to decide, but something I haven't figured out yet gets "stuck" when it's defined that way.]

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report