Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

renaming blocks tedious

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
sgooss
2085 Views, 27 Replies

renaming blocks tedious

I attemped to post in the Community open-discussion forums but was denied access (not sure what is required... a special morse-code mouse clicking?) so I'm posting here.  I've found renaming blocks so tedious as the dialogue box must be closed and reopened for each block.  When there is a series of related blocks slightly different, it would be so helpful to be able to change them all subsequently in the same operation.  Also, when opening Block Editor, the name is at top-left.  This would also be an ideal time and place to adjust a block name. 

Wishing ~

*** POST TITLE EDITED FOR CLARITY***

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
cadffm
in reply to: sgooss

Hi,

this us an AutoCAD question, here is the right place for this.

Community open-discussion forums is for community topics and not for specific  Autodesk Software questions.

Rename:

EDITED

I don't know what you doing,

if i want to rename a block i use RENAME and for usual i dont need to leave and reopen the dialog.

Is this the case for nested blocks?

Sorry, i am away from Acad now.

One click less, start 

MULTIPLE

then Rename

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 28
sgooss
in reply to: cadffm

When I rename a block, I type the command, "rename."  The issue is that one can rename only one block at a time and is required to close the dialogue box.  The rename another block, one needs to redo the command and open the rename dialogue box.   Block by block... it is very tedious.

Message 4 of 28
cadffm

share a DWG sample, so we can check what happen.

for simple blocks it should work like you want ->

vWMhsHwkqt.gif

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 28
sgooss

Hello again.  Nothing happened and I know well how to rename blocks.  I am expression my personal frustration with the tedious method.  I did explain in my inital post that this is not the best place to post this discussion but I was not permitted access to open discussion forums for some reason.

Message 6 of 28
cadffm

I see your problem, you hitting [OK] instead of [RENAME] !

lol.

That's it, or?

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 28
cadffm

@sgooss  schrieb:

nd I know well how to rename blocks.

It doesn't look like this if you hit OK instead RENAME.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 8 of 28
sgooss

I have no idea what you mean.  I habe keine Idee um was du ansprechen.

I have no problem with renaming a block. 

Message 9 of 28
cadffm

Problem or not, you wrote  renaming blocks is so tedious as the dialogue box must be closed and reopened for each block. 

This statement is wrong, thats all i said.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 10 of 28
sgooss

This was not clear in your writing and I don't see what bearing this has on discussion.  Closing a dialogue box = clicking "OK."   This issue that I have is how only one block can be renamed at a time instead of being able to rename a few in a row.

Message 11 of 28
cadffm

You should take more time to read and test answers from people who want to help you.

Please read and look #4 again

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/renaming-blocks-tedious/m-p/10794450#M1067443

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 12 of 28
sgooss

Pardon me, but I am confused as to all of your comments here.  I have no question about renaming blocks.  Do you understand why I posted my writing with the title "Topic for discussion?"  I have no question about operations and commands.

Message 13 of 28
cadffm

Okay, i am sorry to misunderstood you totally.

Sorry.

----

renaming blocks tedious

I attemped to post in the Community open-discussion forums but was denied access (not sure what is required... a special morse-code mouse clicking?) so I'm posting here.  I've found renaming blocks so tedious as the dialogue box must be closed and reopened for each block.  When there is a series of related blocks slightly different, it would be so helpful to be able to change them all subsequently in the same operation.  Also, when opening Block Editor, the name is at top-left.  This would also be an ideal time and place to adjust a block name. 

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 14 of 28
pendean

@Anonymous You don't appear to know how to use RENAME command's pop-up from your replies to date; this is not a personal insult, just an observation, we are all trying to help you.

1) Select the old block name.

2) type in the new name.

3) click on the RENAME TO button. No other button. Your block is now renamed. The pop-up is still up. Now select a different block name to rename.

4) repeat #2 and #3 above.

5) when you are completely done renaming all the blocks, you lick OK to exit the pop-up and end the RENAME command function.

6) Here is a short video explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtpJVuts0OA

HTH

AutoCAD Fundamentals & Workflows Course: http://cadintentions.com/hurry ** AutoCAD Productivity Training Webinar Available Now 20% off: https://gumroad.com/l/oPLLa/may4 Delete BLocks Vide: https://youtu.be/EXvXBylajZM Viewports video: https://youtu.be/queBUFLkW1U INTO THE AM : ...
Message 15 of 28
sgooss

I see now - thank you!  On my post from today, the person writing is from Germany I think and I did not understand his comments.  I wasn't dismissing any help by any means!

Message 16 of 28
sgooss
in reply to: pendean

I also never saw this "Rename To:" button to the left side.   Honestly, never saw it!   I'm so glad to have you clarify and bring my attention to it, so thank you.

Message 17 of 28
fatal.error

"It would be so helpful to be able to change them all subsequently in the same operation"

In addition to @pendean and @cadffm , you can use * wildcard to find-and-replace text strings.

The following setup will rename all existing blocks as NEW_BLOCK_1; NEW_BLOCK_2; NEW_BLOCK_3, etc.

Außerdem können Sie Blöcke mit dem Platzhalter * umbenennen.

Das folgende Setup ersetzt die "OLD_" Textzeichenfolge durch die "NEW_" Textzeichenfolge.

fatalerror_0-1638391262360.png

Message 18 of 28
sgooss
in reply to: fatal.error

Very good to know!  I did find help here last week in Find/Replace adding code to make a 2nd line.

So NOW my only complaint on block renaming is that after renamed, the block list runs to the top again and I need to scroll all of the way down again (since typing the exact name is futile to remember).    : )

Message 19 of 28
fatal.error

In the Rename Dialog's Item List, type any letter to jump/scroll-down to the first any-letter-named block.

i.e. type "R" to scroll-down up to "RAi-01".

fatalerror_0-1638392238640.png

Try also Page-Up and Page-Down keys.

Message 20 of 28
sgooss
in reply to: fatal.error

Oddly, that didn't work for me until I did click back into the list again.  I tried it just on the name search box.  Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta