Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remap from Physical Server To Cloud

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
461 Views, 3 Replies

Remap from Physical Server To Cloud

My firm currently stores our DWG files on a physical server and AutoCAD to access.  Each file is mapped to the server.  We have moved all of our non-CAD files to the Cloud, specifically SharePoint and utilize the storage capabilities of the Microsoft OneDrive.  We would like to move all of our CAD files to SharePoint so that all electronic files are accessible from one location.  Is there a way to edit the drawing mapping to reference an individual users locally stored copy of a DWG file?  For some non DWG files, we are able to replace the individuals user name in the file path with %username% to allow for different users to access the same file from any computer.  If unfamiliar with OneDrive, we can have the files saved to the cloud but also retain a local copy that syncs with the cloud.  

Looking for any and all solutions that can be offered to get our drawings accessible from the cloud

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

FYI AutoCAD is not designed to work with and is easily confused by a Sharepoint fileserver setup.

For cloud services you probably already discovered problems, can you explain how each use accesses files and how they are set up to sync?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Everything would be linked to a users hard drive. Since SharePoint can sync to a hard drive and store a local copy, we can update the mapping to: C:\users\cellis\.... However, this would make the file mapped to my harddrive specifically. However, if we could remap everything to C:\users\%username\... this would allow us to put synced versions on multiple machines for any user to access.
Message 4 of 4
natasha.l
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous, 

My understanding is that you have local files that you need to move to a shared location? 

Changing the pathing of the files is not recommended, try visiting the OneDrive support page. 

• I would copy the files over to the shared location
  • Then upload the files to OneDrive 
  • All users would then use the shared location & OneDrive files moving forward 

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report