Publishing Color Issue

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
lbellino4
4271 Views, 21 Replies

Publishing Color Issue

Hello.

Just noticed this issue today that I haven't seen before. I used the publish command to plot the multiple tabs in my drawing, which I've done many times. I had revisions on some of the sheets which I clouded. But for some reason, on one sheet, the cloud plotted/shown as red (which is correct and what I prefer to see) and on another sheet, it is shown as black. Why is that and how do I fix? Thanks in advance for the help.

All clouds are on the same layer and the layer color is red and I'm working in Autocad 2016.

red cloud.PNGblack cloud.PNG

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rkmcswain
in reply to: lbellino4

First guess would be that the plot style table was unavailable during the publish session for some reason. Did other layers/colors in those prints come out obeying the plot styles?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 22
pendean

Is that an actual 3D model or 2D floating text/cloud on it? If yes, What visual style got used?
Message 4 of 22
lbellino4
in reply to: rkmcswain

Well, my publishing settings is going to a PDF and the page setup for each of my drawing tabs, the plot style table is set to "None". Being set to none, normally prints in the colors on the screen. See images attached.

Publish specs.PNGPlot Style.PNG

Message 5 of 22
lbellino4
in reply to: pendean

The drawing itself is a 3D model, but the clouds are located in paper space on the tabs, as needed.  I hoping in the images below is what you were asking about for visual styles that I have set in the drawing.  For the views in the tabs, I have it set to "Conceptual".  The model/tabs seem to look fine, just not all the clouds printed in the layer color red that it's set at.

2D visual style.PNGConceptual visual style.PNG

Message 6 of 22
pendean

Quick test: can you PLOT that layout and get red clouds/text? Change nothing on the PLOT pop-up except to choose the PDF driver you used in PUBLISH.
Message 7 of 22
lbellino4

I plotted the pdf that I created with the publish command to a color printer and the clouds that show red, printed in red and the clouds that show black, printed in black. 

Message 8 of 22
pendean

Sorry, I meant I want yo to create a new PDF from inside AutoCAD using PLOT command, not PUBLISH.

The PDF you already created is what it is and no one here is going to suggest you try anything with it.
Message 9 of 22
lbellino4

Attached is the new pdf of one of the sheets that was printing the clouds black instead of red. It's still printing the wrong color. And I tested this out using two pdf options which is, "AutoCAD PDF.pc3" and "DWG to PDF.pc3" and they both printed the clouds in black. Image below shows the one option.

Plot detail.PNG

Message 10 of 22
lbellino4

Decided just to send you the drawing file to see if that would help.

Message 11 of 22
lbellino4

Hello. I just realized this issue has not been solved and that's because I'm still having the same problem and my supervisor is asking me that in a drawing where I published a pdf, why some sheets show the rev clouds in their proper layer color, while some do not. They're all done on the same layer, which I can't understand why it would plot differently. This also happens when I send to our plotter, unless I set it to grayscale, then this really doesn't matter, but when they require these to be in color, it's a problem.

I've attached a pdf I created yesterday to show this issue. Anyone have any answers on this topic? Thanks in advance.

@pendean @rkmcswain 

Message 12 of 22
pendean

You alone control the color output of objects, either through object properties or your plot style table (if you use one) or both together. Judging by your last DWG file from two years ago, you don't seem to use a plot style table, so if you don't want red to print then don't use red, use black.

FYI there is nothing we can recommend just looking at your final PDF sadly, you could have just posted a screenshot.

Or maybe you should not be using LT but the program that generated your piping/valves plans instead?

HTH
Message 13 of 22
lbellino4

Actually, I'm currently working in AutoCAD 2021 where this is happening now. Per your comments, I decide to start fresh with a different drawing and create a new layer for the clouds and setting the color to red, linetype continuous and lineweight is set at the default setting within CAD. I did not change anything else. No plot style is assigned to it in the layer manager, nor when plotting. I choose "none" to display the colors when plotting. Below are some screen shots of the pdf print when publishing and it still is choosing which clouds it wants to display in the layer color. So any other suggestion on how to fix or what setting I need to change, it's much appreciated.

Pages 1 and 2 of the drawing I published to PDF.

lbellino4_0-1600366557055.png

lbellino4_1-1600366623098.png

Message 14 of 22
pendean

Can you share your DWG with those two layouts and clouds in place?
Message 15 of 22
lbellino4

Attached is the drawing I used.

Message 16 of 22
pendean

I am not able to replicate your results: your red layer clouds remain red all the across your layouts here:

pendean_0-1600372498983.png

Message 17 of 22
lbellino4

So when you opened the drawing I provided, you just did the publish command and the clouds on all the sheets are shown in red on the pdf you created? If yes, would this be a setting with AutoCAD that I would need to change? I'm just trying to figure out why it works on yours vs. why it doesn't on mine.

Message 18 of 22
pendean

Your red cloud prints as red because you are not using a plot style table in the file that you posted that would change it to any other color or black. PLOT gives the same result here.

Are you using a plot style table in a pagesetup that you used in PUBLISH? Or a different driver or PC3 file for your plotter in the different layout (which I do not have)?

Or just change your layer color from RED to BLACK.

Message 19 of 22
lbellino4

I do have a page setup assigned to each of the sheets, which I've shown below, but it's still showing I'm not using a plot style. As for the driver, I believe it's using the one set up with our new HP plotter, but I do know there is another one we use when we specifically when we print pdfs. That's because the one used when printing directly from a CAD drawing, it would not rotate the paper/drawing to accommodate our E size drawings, when we printed the PDFs, so we use a "...PS3" driver for those. See second image shown below. Hopefully, this is what you were referring to. Even if I print this pdf setting it to print in color, it still doesn't not print the cloud in red, on sheets that show it as black. If changing the layer color to black will make it print in red, I will definitely do that.  I decided to use the acad.ctb plot style to see if that would work and it didn't. Same thing as before.

Because we require our clouds that show changes to be in red, which is why I'm trying to get help on this since when printing in color, it's odd that certain sheets will have red clouds, while other will not. Want all the clouds to be printing in the same color.

Message 20 of 22
pendean

Can you PLOT and PUBLISH to PDF to get only red all the time? Use the PDF drivers offered in each of the pop-ups.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report