Did you mean: 

Proxy information

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
8632 Views, 8 Replies

Proxy information

When I open AutoCad it shows me proxy info Dialogue. What does it mean ? Could it be that because I copied another drawing form different version 

of AutoCad ? if yes can I track or get the original file ? Because I cant find my drawings anymore and everytime I open the same file the  proxy info Dialogue comes up. I am using student version of AutoCad and not sure what was the other Version. 

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> it shows me proxy info Dialogue

That means that your drawing contains object(s) from a none-AutoCAD application, that could be from a vertical product like AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Civil 3D as well as from applications from 3rd party developers.

For some of those proxy objects you can download ObjectEnablers (>>>here the ones for Autodesk<<<), otherwise you can't handle such objects.

>> Could it be that because I copied another drawing form different version

Yes.

>> can I track or get the original file ?

I guess the original file already contains such objects, just plain (Vanilla) AutoCAD does not have a tool to handle these objects.

As long as you don't need to modify that objects, no problem. It can get critical when e.g. you try to copy them, that will not work.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
pendean

Post a screenshot of that pop-up if you are unable to decipher what it is saying in detail about the problem. Thanks.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

So, I used AutoCad 2017 for the drawings. and then sent them to myself  and dowenloaded them on my personal computer which I have the Student version of 2018 AutoCad. 

now every time I open the file it shows me this and I dont know why, Plus I cant find the rest of my drawings. So now I am behind on the Project, and need my work. Can I go back and find them. THANKS 

2018-03-02 (3).png

Message 5 of 9
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

The message you show in that image looks like you have some AutoCAD Civil 3D objects in the file. First, in that dialog that pops up , click on Show instead of Do not show.

Then install the Civil 3D object enabler for your version of AutoCAD (2017 or 2018)

Next, if you want to reomve those proxy objects, run -exporttoautocad. This command will convert the geometry to plain AutoCAD geometry.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 9
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please mark a post or posts as accepted solutions if they resolved the issue or give me a bit more detail on this issue so we can continue to work towards getting this solved.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

John

I am still confused and not understanding everything. Is there  a way I contact a person directly?

Message 8 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

We talked a bit offline today about the proxy objects.  I showed how you can determine what application the objects originated and how many objects are present whe nyou see the the proxy notice. I showed you where to obtain Object Enablers for your AutoCAD and how you can use -ExtracttoAutoCAD to bring the drawing back to simple AutoCAD geometry.

We also discussed additional learning resources such as In-Product learning, Youtube's AutoCAD channel and Lynda.com.

I wish you the best with your studies and hope that you return to the Community forums with any additional questions.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 9
joniannoxha
in reply to: john.vellek

First of all, let me just say that I am super happy that you asked for a good and cheap Proxy and not for a good and free one. I bet we all already know that if the product is free you are the product. Well, at least people who watched “The Social Dilemma” on Netlfix for sure know this saying.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report