Did you mean: 

Profile compatibility

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
292 Views, 4 Replies

Profile compatibility

Are profiles compatible from say 2016 to 2018?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Are profiles compatible from say 2016 to 2018?

AutoCAD profiles? I would not use them as you will get then menus loaded from 2016, paths pointing to release 2016 folders and so on.

What are you trying?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

In most cases, paths that point to 2016 folders will automatically adjust to the current version folders.

If you have custom support files and other folders that must be different from one version to the next, you can edit the ARG file with a text editor before importing the profile, or you can just change the paths via Options after importing. 

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: dmfrazier

Hi,

>> or you can just change the paths via Options after importing

...if your AutoCAD starts after importing such an ARG file 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
dmfrazier
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

That's a good point.  I think I did experience a problem going from one release to the next and failing to change a particular support folder and having AutoCAD subsequently crash after shutting down and attempting to re-launch with the new profile.  I think the issue was the Device Driver File search path.  But I've never had it fail to keep running after the import. So, if one chooses this method, one should be careful to edit all of the necessary paths that don't adjust themselves. (And if you happen to miss a crucial one, it's also helpful to know how to set AutoCAD back to a working profile so you can try again.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta