Did you mean: 

Problems importing dxf and dwg files into other applications

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
pchernoff
3783 Views, 8 Replies

Problems importing dxf and dwg files into other applications

Our architect has provided their plans for our new office to us as .dxf, .dwg, and pdf files. We want to work on these files for our own needs in Adobe Illustrator. The only file it can open is the PDF file but it is less than optimal because it doesn't have any of the Layer information, which is critical to our use. Creating our own layers has been problematic due to how objects are converted to PDF.

I assume that the problem is related to the version of .dxf and .dwg files we have. Is there a way to know the version of these files and a good way to convert them to other versions of these files or to Adobe Illustrator format? I can read the files using the Autodesk web site so I know they are valid files. I have tried various tools for file conversion but with mixed results.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
S.Faris
in reply to: pchernoff

Download DWG Trueview : DOWNLOAD DWG TRUEVIEW 

This is a free Application from Autodesk which will allow you to convert versions

And for the Illustrator : Use Autocad PDF Printer from the Plot dialog, which will transfer all the Layer information to the PDF Output file. 

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 3 of 9
RobDraw

@pchernoff wrote:

I assume that the problem is related to the version of .dxf and .dwg files we have. 

You should avoid assumptions when trouble shooting except as a last resort. Let's start with the facts.

What are the requirements of Illustrator as to version?

@pchernoff wrote:

Is there a way to know the version of these files and a good way to convert them to other versions of these files or to Adobe Illustrator format? 

Open the file with Notepad. The first group of characters indicates the version. I'm not sure how to translate the group into which AutoCAD version ATM but that is easy to find.

Converting the files can be done with Drawing TrueView available free from Autodesk.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 9
S.Faris

Refer to this for Autocad to Photoshop Workflow(might work for Illustrator too) : Autocad to Photoshop with Layers 

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 5 of 9
pchernoff
in reply to: S.Faris

Thanks. Wish they had a MacOS version of the viewer. I'll load Windows into VMware and give it a try.

Message 6 of 9
S.Faris

if you don't mind posting the file here or sending it to me in private, i could convert it for you.

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 7 of 9
pendean

Ask the file creator to generate PDFs with layers on it for you and bump up the output res if needed: those are AutoCAD features they control.

Message 8 of 9
pchernoff
in reply to: pendean

Thanks all. The AutoDesk reader app is solving the problem. I created a PDF from it using the AutoCAD PDF driver. While its layers weren't helpful it retained the color coding of objects is which I can use to assign new layers. The exported line drawings are much better and doesn't include the white objects which were part of the furniture and caused problems.

I will trying saving the file in different version of .dwg files but that is critical for my needs.

Message 9 of 9
pchernoff

Follow-up. I had time to convert the .dwg file into different version. Adobe Illustrator 2020 was able to open a .dwg 2010 file format. It could not open the 2013 or current format.

What opened is usable but odd. There are 2 copies of the floor plans and then a 3rd mini copy. I'll just delete what I don't need.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost