Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to PDF with solid hatch transparency doesn't work.

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
peterjwinberg
17606 Views, 36 Replies

Printing to PDF with solid hatch transparency doesn't work.

I've tried in both AutoCAD 2015 and Architecture 2018.

We're trying to use a transparent solid hatch for our wall fill. Printing with "DWG to PDF" pc3 creates what appears to be a suitable PDF. However, when we print hard copies from that PDF (or even print to PDF from the PDF, to create a new PDF) we have various errors throughout the drawing. Some objects don't show up, or they appear masked somehow. See before and after images.

I read in another post that using gradient hatch might help, but it yielded the same result. I tried using the "AutoCAD PDF" pc3 as well, didn't work. Merge control didn't help. I accidentally printed without transparency (with solid hatch though, instead of the dot patern we're switching from) and everything showed up fine. It seems to be boiled down to printing a solid hatch with transparency.

Any fixes? Thanks!

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
Otto
in reply to: peterjwinberg

Hello peterjwinberg

It looks like you are looking for information related to AutoCAD printing PDFs with streaks through solid colors. Community members with similar questions found the following article(s) useful:

Transparent solid color hatch to PDF with lines

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 37
peterjwinberg
in reply to: Otto

No, I'm not having issues printing to PDF with streaks through colors, but thanks anyways.

Message 4 of 37
john.vellek

Hi @peterjwinberg,

Is it possible to attach a sample file with a page setup applied that will show me your plot configuration? Also, if you can attach your plot style that will help me to duplicate the issue and hopefully determine a fix.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 37

HI

try with this device ,Capture1.PNG

or if you can attach your dwg file  and let us to explore what is going wrong

Good Luck

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your question

Message 6 of 37
peterjwinberg
in reply to: john.vellek

It wouldn't let me attached the ctb. We just use the monochome anyways, for now at least. The drawing catalog is old and the drawings have been poorly managed over time (layer management in particular). I was recently hired here to cleanup and upgrade the catalog, but that's not the issue here...

Plotting with transparency on creates a suitable PDF from CAD, but when that PDF is printed (either as a hard copy or even to a new PDF) it loses content.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 37
john.vellek

HI @peterjwinberg,

I see the problem now - this one is certainly not new. The Dots hatch pattern will do this unless you assign a fairly heavy line weight.  I suggest that you use Sand or another hatch pattern that actually involves some linework other than just a dot. In fact, a solid will work if you set the transparency in the hatch property and then make sure to plot transparent as well.

Take a look at the hatch I replaced it with and the resulting PDF. It prints on a printer just fine.  If you really want the Dot pattern then assign a heavier pen to it.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous

You may have already done some of this however excuse my ignorance and let me explain how to fix the issue.

I have had to figure out this issue in both LT and Arch Desktop.

If you are using architectural desktop, make sure that your Z axis cut line is set along the plane that you would like printed.

Take the existing drawing that you are working in, turn on and unlock all the layers. Get rid of any garbage and unwanted blocks and lines that are not needed.. Use Zoom Extents to make sure that you got everything. If there are too many unwanted lines inside of your drawing, Use select similar and or Isolate them to remove. Once you get it cleaned up the best you can, Purge. After this, select all and use the flatten command to return everything to the Z-(0)zero coordinance. 

Start a fresh drawing from scratch and copy the existing project from a reference point. I typically use the bottom left hand corner of the structure. Copy your work and paste it as a block(ctrl+shift+V) into the scratch drawing at 0,0,0 coordinance.

Hatch is generated using coordinance and can get tweaked out if you are a mile outside of home...

Make sure that the block of your work is pasted to the 0,0,0 location per the base point that you chose and explode it. Now purge the drawing again just to be sure that all is good.

Use the Dview command. Set it to 0,0,0 and set the camera to 0,0,1. Doing this will make certain and eliminate other steps that would otherwise have to be noted.

Create your layout tab and set up your title sheet with a viewport, again purging after doing so. Lock your viewport at the correct scale and make sure that the PSltscale is set to zero. Refreshing inside the viewport will confirm that this is correct and your linetypes are correct. go back into paperspace and zoom extents.

Right click on your now proper layout tab and go to settings. Make sure that your .CTB, plot style is set per your standard. Check the boxes "plot with transparencies", "Plot paperspace last" Set quality to "Normal" and make sure that unless you are printing at other than 100% the "Scale Lineweights" box is unchecked.

Make sure that the printer is set to "DWG to PDF" and your sheet size is correct for the media that you intend to print, select apply and close.

Pick on the Autocad tab at the top left of the screen. The Red "A". Pick on "Export" and export the .pdf to a folder of choice. Open and preview the drawing.

If it is still still wonky, make sure that your Postscript settings are turned off. Make sure that your .ctb is configured in a standard that has not been changed by accident or by someone else if it is on a server or shared. Double check your print settings and make sure that you have the most current updates from autodesk and adobe. Make sure that your line-types are set to Bylayer and not overridden or "By-Block"

If you are printing remotely or using a wifi signal, it could be compressing the file and removing data to save space. I have encountered this and it does happen.

These steps should fix your issue. If you are still having issues, feel free to comment and I will fix. There are other xref involvements and transparency-screening factors that may be an issue.

A good general rule is to always take into consideration your coordinance in both model and paperspace. Keep your drawing clean without any cancer and merge any multiple line-types that are assigned to do the same thing. I have opened drawings with 20+ wall type layers A-Wall, A-Wall-Elevation, A-Structure-Wall, A-Wall-Envelope, etc.. I understand the theory of AIA standardization however it gives other users too much freedom and creates chaos. A good way I have found to keep things simple is to use layer names that make sense like "Wall", "Window", "Cabinetry", "Dim-48" etc... and assign a neutral color like red, yellow, cyan, magenta, blue, to each. Simple is good and it saves time. Time is money.

Good luck and cheers.

-Bostick

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous

here is your solution

here i gave a solid hatch and colored it with 8 number or u can apply any color11.jpg

and after that just go to print and which color used for it just down the screening of that from 100 to 50 or 10 what u want

22.jpg

Message 10 of 37
Anonymous

Message 11 of 37
john.vellek

Hi @peterjwinberg,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 37
peterjwinberg

Thanks @john.vellek.

Well, your suggestion didn't work for me because you thought I was having trouble with the Dot pattern. The issue is with the transparency of the Solid patern. Bostick's suggestion... TL;DR. Nevil's recommendation actually gives me the end result I want, but doesn't necessarily address the problem. His was the closest to a solution, so I'll mark it as such.

Thanks again.

Message 13 of 37
john.vellek

Hi @peterjwinberg,

I am glad his solution worked. It is actually the same approach I took in your file that I attached in my previous post.  I noticed that the dots didn't show up on my printer which is why I thought that might be your issue.

At any rate, I am glad that you have a solution that is working for you now.

John Vellek

Message 14 of 37
Anonymous

I still have the same problem, and the solution it doesn't work for me.

Message 15 of 37
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Is it possible to share a sample file and give me more detail on the exact issue you are having with plotting transparencies?  Please also tell me which PDF driver you are using, your plot settings, attach your plot style, and tell me which version of AutoCAD you are using.

I would like to look at your issue and see if I can hep.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 16 of 37

Hello,

I am having problems with Hatch Transparency ever since I upgraded to AutoCAD 2018.  I have read the forums and none of the solutions address my issue.  I have a version of AutoCAD 2016 that prints hatch transparency correctly, but the new version does not.  I have attached a screen shot and PDF example showing the result.  I can see the transparency on the screen, but it does not work for PDF or for prints.

Thanks, Kurt

Message 17 of 37
cadffm

Message 18 of 37
terradesignworks
in reply to: cadffm

I appreciate the prompt reply and the information about the PLOTTRANSPARENCYOVERRIDE system variable, however this doesn't work either.  In fact it works worse.  I've attached two PDFs, one set with the variable set to 1 and one set to 2.  

Message 19 of 37

Hi @terradesignworks,

Can you etransmit your drawing(s) and plot style to a zip file and attach it to a post?  i would like to see if I can get this to work for you.

John Vellek

Message 20 of 37

Hi,

if you mean white solid with transparency then there is one known issue in the latest update of AutoCAD 2018. The solution is to change the layer-color of the solid objects to 254,254,254 (don't use clean white like 255,255,255) ... that should correct the white transparent solid hatches.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report