Did you mean: 

printing layout in monochrome still prints color

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
72504 Views, 21 Replies

printing layout in monochrome still prints color

I have read other replies to this and still I am having problems.  I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I need the layout to just be monochrome.  There has got to be a simple way of doing it and I am not following the other posts explaining it.  Can someone help please?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Basic autocad colors can be printed monochrome BUT True Colors CAN'T

Capture 1.JPGCapture.JPG

Message 3 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

the fastest way to get a valid answer would be to upload the drawing + a PDF which is your result of plotting (using plot to "DWG to PDF.pc3).

Otherwise we have to guess, maybe for days ....

like:

• the viewports visual style are not set to "2D Wireframe"
  • the CTB or STB are not defined well
  • the checkbox "plot with plot styles" is not activated in the plot dialog.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 22
imadHabash

Hi,

if your layers color taken from True color OR Color Books,it will be always printing in color.so i suggest to check your layer color.

color.png

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

uploaded

Message 6 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> printing layout in monochrome still prints color

Reason 1:

In none of the 2 layouts a plot-style table is used, so no reason for AutoCAD to plot monochrome.

Reason 2 (see my guesses):

The viewport is set to visual style "hidden", so the output is rendered, rending means all vectors are true-color and true-color values can't be converted by CTB or STB. Result is a colored output.

To avoid that:

Option A:

1) make sure a CTB is used like "monochrine.ctb"

2) select the viewport and set property "Shade plot" to "Legacy hidden"

Option B:

1) use viewport layer overrides to make the layers grey

- alfred -

20170108_2011.png

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

Thank you so much.  A simple solution that I needed some one to hold my hand with.  HA!  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 22

Hey Guy's,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but it seams to be the best one.

I have 2 files, one is an output from mircostation.  It prints B&W like I want it to.

If I copy stuff from the model where it prints correctly to a new model, it no longer prints B&W.  Having a look it's obvious why the pen assignments aren't working as the colors are sligtly different to the pen assignments.

On the surface of it, everything is identical, I've looked at how it's shaded etc.  What I want to know is what setting is different in the drawing exported from mircostation to enable the colours to print B&W when they are both using to the same plot styles.

I can "fix it" by changing layer colours etc etc, but it's too onerous as it's a daily task as subs design in Mircostation and we design in ACAD, thats not going to change so I'd like to be able to change the setting.

Also I should add, I don't beleive it's a VP setting as when I copy the VP between the file that does work and the file that doesn't, that does NOT fix the issue.

Thanks heaps, Clayton

Message 9 of 22

Hi,

if you upload the dwg-file would help and might result in a faster solution.

>> If I copy stuff from the model where it prints correctly to a new model

That's the source of the issue, the model is not your plot-definition.

How it will be plotted is dependent on layout, pagesetup and viewports, and as you only copied the model you seem to have the differences in that part of dwg-files.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 10 of 22

Thanks Aflred,

I get that.

So what has changed is my question essentially.

1. It's not in the VP, as I've copied that between the drawings and it doesn't change the print out.

2. It's not the Pen styles, as it is the same pen style accross both drawings, in fact in the one where it prints all back it's almost like it's ignoreing the pen style.

So what setting(s) would I need to change to get the new document to print in the same manor as the old document?

Also, I have been trying to understand the difference between stb's and ctb's thinking that was maybe the issue.  Now I have another document (dowloaded from this site) which when I go to print only brings up stb's for pen assignments.   Could this be a way of fixing the issue?

Although, this doesn't explain the original issue.

Message 11 of 22

Hi,

>> So what setting(s) would I need to change

Without the drawing we are guessing, no chance to get the drawing with objects that don't look correct?

It would make (and solve) all that much faster.

>> trying to understand the difference between stb's and

>> ctb's thinking that was maybe the issue

So are you saying that one drawing uses CTB and the other drawing uses STB files ...in the list of plot-styles within the plot-dialog?

Then you can use command _CONVERTPSTYLES (>>>details<<<) to convert the drawing to CTB instead of using STB.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

omg I was freaking out bad and just as a long shot I googled this issue... sooooo glad you posted!!! thanks a bunch!! I don't know how the viewport thingy got checked to realistic but I  don't know how long if ever I would of thought of that...

Message 13 of 22

changing my shade plot to legacy hidden solved my problem of only plotting in color but now my text and my dimension text (extension lines still plot) does not plot but is showing up in print preview...Any ideas?

Message 14 of 22

Hi,

>> Any ideas?

Please show us the dwg-file + let us know which version of AutoCAD you are using (command _ABOUT).

But take care ... hiding text objects is always tricky 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 15 of 22

I am using AutoCAD version 2018 for Mac, saving to 2007 for my client (if that matters). I have attached the file and have saved my 24x36 layout with my viewport shaded plot in legacy hidden where the dimension text and other mtext will not print the other 24x36(2) layout saved my original problem of not being able to print in monochrome. 

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

I think this is my issue, but when I change the 'True Color' to black it also makes the index color black?

Message 17 of 22
MartyWallace

Hooray! You solved my problem. I changed the visual style to 2d wireframe and it now prints in monochrome. (It was originally set to Conceptual). This has been driving me nuts.

Message 18 of 22
kibrahim5FCB6

Hello, Sorry i am joining the party a bit late, but it seems I am having a similar issue, a .DGN file we imported to Autocad works smoothly, however the moment we try to print to PDF (monochrone) colours are retained.

Problem is that the layers are a mess and some Objects are assigned colour per layer as well (yes I am also amazed that in 2021 people are still not able to draft properly with layers) - hence i guess the above solutions are not working for me (we are running a bit tight with time any quick way we can fix it.)

Message 19 of 22
mike_racca
in reply to: kibrahim5FCB6

I am currently having the same issue.  An XREF'd DGN does not seem to recognize an assigned Plot Style Table.  The DGN always plots in color, unless you attach it or insert it.  I have also noticed that a DWG with a similar name as the DGN gets created in the same file directory as well.  I can manually delete it.  I am surprised at how difficult it is to find additional information concerning the limitations of an XREF'd DGN...

Message 20 of 22
pendean
in reply to: mike_racca

@mike_racca Why don't you start your own post that specifically is titled DGN XREF NOT PRINTING IN MONOCHROME, perhaps even in your C3D forum since that is what you use (I believe from your previous forums participation).

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta