Printing layer colors in gray

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
lbellino4
14349 Views, 27 Replies

Printing layer colors in gray

Hello.

I have a couple of questions regarding this topic. 

One is, what is the purpose for changing the viewport layer color vs. the main color for the layer? Has anyone used this? (See image below.)

Also, is there a way to keep the colors I want in the main color column, but when printing, I can have them print in different shades of gray? We've tried the "Shades of gray" option within the viewport for our 3D models, but it just has one gray shade when it prints and the items in the drawing looks muddled and don't look as crisp. We've printed with different shades of gray and that is the look the company I work for wants to go with. I'm just trying to figure out a way where I can keep the main color as selected for each layer, but when printing, it's the shade of gray that we've selected for these layers. Without have to change the main color layer each time I want to print. I'm currently working in ACAD 2016. Thanks in advance for your help.

viewport colors.PNG

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
john.vellek
in reply to: lbellino4

Hi @lbellino4,

I am not familiar with this specific error.  Please check to see if you have a current graphics driver.

Also, is this happening with specific drawings? I would run AUDIT, PURGE, and -PURGE>Regapps on your drawing to see if that eliminates the error.

As far as the printer settings go, you can actually create a "new" printer with the monochrome settings and point the driver to the same hardware device.

For instance, your normal (color-enabled) printer would be HP DesignJet T770 and your new printer would be HP DesignJet T770-MONO.  Both drivers can use the same hardware and this might make it easier to access in  your applications when you need monochrome printing.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 22 of 28
lbellino4
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John.

I recently had Dell update my computer with the latest driver for my display, which is shown in the image attached. Is there a certain graphic driver/unit that I need to have on my computer to use with AutoCAD 2016? Or do I need to provide you other information about my computer for this issue?

I already tried the other tasks you noted and that didn't fix the issue and I still get the same error message as before.

Graphics Info.PNG

Message 23 of 28
john.vellek

HI @lbellino4,

When you receive the fatal error, do you have the opportunity to submit a CER report? If so, please send me that number.

You  might also prepare a NFO file for me so I can see if there is anything obvious that we can check.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 24 of 28
lbellino4

Attached is the last CER number that was created for this issue, along with the NFO that you requested.

CER.PNG

Message 25 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @lbellino4,

Thanks for the CER number. It points to a HP printer driver as the culprit.  What printers/drivers do you have installed? When I installed the driver for your T770, I did not see this error.  I do not recall which version I installed and I have removed the printer from my system.  If you remove your HP printers, do you still have the fatal error?

Here is a link to HP's driver page.

In looking at your NFO, it appears that you have a service failing for your Intel ProSet Wireless connection, you also might have two stalled print jobs in the queue.  It also appears that you have not updated your OS to service pack 2. Please verify that you have applied all the updates for your OS.

It is hard to tell if this is already installed for your graphics card but here is a link to the most current driver for your FirePro card.

Please also make sure that your AutoCAD 2016 is fully updated from your Accounts page.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 26 of 28
lbellino4

I will take at look at these items with the IT tech that works on my computer, but he recommended this solution that I believe he found on the forum, which I've attached. So for kicks, I decided to remove the check mark from the "Plot Transparency" in the Plot command and I didn't have the issue and the print went through. But unfortunately, I do need this option on for some of our 3D model drawings and will need a way to make it work with it while printing directly from Auto Cad and not just only pdf's, if we choose an option below. If you have more ideas on this after reading the post attached, please let me know.

transparency.PNG

Message 27 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @lbellino4

I am not sure those solutions you suggested will address the possible incompatibility of the HP driver.  That is what the CER reports as the cause of the error.

Please try one of the other drivers from the HP site and see if you have better luck.

John Vellek

Message 28 of 28
lbellino4

Just to close out this post, what we ended up doing here is keeping the main layer color as we want it in the drawing and in each of the viewports, just changed the viewport colors for the layers, along with their lineweight to plot with the correct effect, which seems to be working well. Also, ended up getting a new plotter, which helps too. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report