Did you mean: 

Print white text in AutoCAD

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
CGriff
9161 Views, 9 Replies

Print white text in AutoCAD

I use a page setup that references the "AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation).pc3" file and I change the Merge Control PDF option to "Lines Merge". I tend to have a bit of overlapping or no-plot objects that look weird/awful if I don't merge them.

Unfortunately, I had been using 255,255,255 for white text, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore...?

If I switch the Merge Control back to "Lines Overwrite" it shows as white (but my lines don't merge anymore)? I've tried 254, 254, 254 and other variations of white (or off-white, or grey), but get the same result (the text is missing).

The merge function is way more important than the white text, but I'm wondering if this is a bug that will eventually be fixed? If I I need to readdress this in my CAD Standards/templates? Or if there is another trick I don't know about?

I do use Plot Transparency in my page setup, clicking on/off has no effect on the output.

@CGriff

john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity: White Text ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
john.vellek
in reply to: CGriff

Hi @CGriff

What version of AutoCAD are you using?  Are the white text objects above a colored hatch or surface?

Is it possible to provide some screen captures of what you are seeing so I can see if there is  a way to change the behavior to get the results you want?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 10
CGriff
in reply to: john.vellek

AutoCAD 2019.1.2 (Version P.162.0.0).

I clip satellite views from Google Earth for cover sheet area site maps, then paste as an OLE object so I don't have the external reference link. I put white (255,255,255) Mtext of top to indicate nearby roads, buildings, etc. This has worked fine for a long time now... I just noticed it wasn't working anymore in the last couple of weeks.

Oddly, the plot preview shows the white text but on the PDF it's invisible... it's there and I can select it on the PDF, but it is 100% transparent.Print Issue.JPG

Message 4 of 10
pendean

Q: Why do you need transparency on for this text-on-image output?
Message 5 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @CGriff,

I guess I am having troubles understanding the workflow.  If you place Mtext without  a mask, the background is transparent.  If you set the text color to 255,255,255 it will print transparent.

I set my Mtext to ACI 255 with the following results:

Capture.PNG

This has Line Merge turned on in the PDF Options.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 10
CGriff
in reply to: pendean

For simplicity, I use the same Page Setup and ctb for ALL sheets and ALL files.

Some sheets require transparency and some don't. In the case of the image with text on top, it doesn't really need it but shouldn't hurt it (or hasn't until now).

Message 7 of 10
CGriff
in reply to: john.vellek

Likewise, I'm having issues replicating your success 🙂

Using any of the AutoCAD PDF PC3 settings (General Doc, High Quality, etc), they're all turning transparent. If I use 255 or 255,255,255... they all just disappear! The text shows properly in the plot preview, but the text is gone when the PDF is created. I tried this with different PC3's, CTB's, and no CTB (none). Same result?

Alternately, if I use Adobe Acrobat... the text prints white with either color setting.

Wonder if I corrupted my PC3 files somehow?

Message 8 of 10
CGriff

So I swapped out my 2019 PC3 files for older ones I found on my machine. No change in output...?

Essentially, all I want to do is have the text mask what is below it (so it appears white).

If I use the "Lines Overwrite" option, it works. If I use the "Lines Merge" options, it does not.

And when I say it works, I mean having "white" text that is either 255 or 255,255,255... it plots to PDF as white (or a mask). If I merge, it turns transparent and you see nothing on the PDF.

The only workaround I've been able to come up with is creating the text, exploding the text, and using the line remnants to create wipeouts...

Message 9 of 10
CGriff

So... I ended up taking a font and size that I liked, exploded it, and made new polylines out of the exploded pieces.

Using the new polylines, I created wipeouts for each letter in the alphabet & numbers 0-9.

I insert the wipeouts on the image and have to rearrange the letters/numbers one by one...

It's a little time consuming, but gives me the results I desire.

I w-blocked the wipeout alphabet I made and can use it elsewhere.

Message 10 of 10
cadffm

Please upload you etranmit-Sample of one simple sample.

A simple Text or Mtext (without background) and color 255,255,255 or more safe "today" 255,255,254"),

line overwrite oder merge style, all this works with the current version (normally).

And show us your version (screenshot of command ABOUT dialog) thx.

- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost