Did you mean: 

Powerful laptop very slow and lagy on AutoCAD

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
4342 Views, 12 Replies

Powerful laptop very slow and lagy on AutoCAD

Hello

I have an Asus ROG g752-vt gaming laptop what I've bought for AutoCAD uses only but it is extremely slow and lagy when I switch to the 3D option and it makes it difficult to do any 3D drawings. Some of my friends have much older laptops than me with less specs but they run ultra smooth on 3D modelling. I am using AutoCAD 2016 student version for my studies.

My laptop specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M-Driver version: 10.18.13.6869

Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit

16GB ddr4 RAM

1 TB HDD

Please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Charlton

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

welcome @Anonymous.autodesk.com!

>> but it is extremely slow and lagy when I switch to the 3D option

>> and it makes it difficult to do any 3D drawings.

Can you describe that a bit more detailled?

What exactly is slow .. the cursor, the object snap, starting a command, loading a drawing, ...?

What is "switch to 3D option" ... do you mean switching a visual style, or the workspace, or just using orbit to see objects from another perspective than 2D/XY?

Best would be to start a new drawing, draw a box and let us know which step now is "slow" or "laggy" or what is "difficult to do" + upload the drawing so we see where you are/your drawing settings.

Also interesting would be to see a screenshot from the dialog of command _GRAPHICSCONFIG

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

"Switch to 3d option" -- I meant by switching from Drafting & annotation to 3D modelling on modelspace.

The cursor is the only thing that is not lagging or jittering and is working well.

Modelspace jitters the whole time when I want to orbit or, move anything even zooming in and out is an issue. When I highlight objects my whole system will freeze and sometimes crashes.  I have switched off hardware acceleration but that does not work and have changed my 3d view from realistic view to wireframe and still do the same thing.

I have started with a new drawing and drew a few boxes and everything is working fine but when I add an object from one of my other drawings then everything jitters and gets very slow again.

Can the jittering and crashes of the program be because I'm exporting objects from google sketchup to autocad ??

thanks

Charlton

Message 4 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> "Switch to 3d option" -- I meant by switching from Drafting & annotation to 3D modelling on modelspace.

Just switching the menu makes your AutoCAD slower? Never heard or read something like that. ;(

>> but when I add an object from one of my other drawings

Ok, so it is drawing specific and not a global defect.

Have you tried to run _AUDIT with the "other drawing", does it find errors?

By any chance ... can you upload that "other drawing" so we can check if our system also goes down with the performance?

Basic question to that: what do you mean by "add an object" ... did you run _INSERT or bring in blocks via designcenter or did you run copy & paste, ...?

- alfred -

PS: my system is quite similar to yours, same processor, same GC, the difference is I have an SSD as primary drive and 32GB memory.

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Hi

I have uploaded the drawing on A360 and it is named as "House".

I ran the _AUDIT as well but it could not fine any problems on autoCAD.

>>

"Basic question to that: what do you mean by "add an object" ... did you run _INSERT or bring in blocks via designcenter or did you run copy & paste, ...?"

<<

I used the normal copy and paste / CTRL + C   and CTRL + V.

Awesome to hear that our machines are almost the same , I am still saving for my SSD 🙂 But I must say that are still the best laptop on earth. 

Message 6 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have uploaded the drawing on A360 and it is named as "House".

I don't have access to your A360 parts (if you like me to look into the file), so at least I need a link to the file (and access permissions)

>> I used the normal copy and paste / CTRL + C   and CTRL + V.

Have you tried _INSERT instead?

>> must say that are still the best laptop on earth.

Maybe, but wrote "similar" ... that means I have the same processor type, the same gc type, but another vendor 🙂

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 13
pendean

"...exporting objects from google sketchup to autocad..."
Most likely why this one single file is slow: post it here and we can all find out what the file actually contains and what is causing the slowness.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Hello

Here is the link to my drawing.

http://a360.co/29RaEpI

Message 9 of 13
pendean

Your 42MB file contains 5465 Polyface Mesh objects: both of those will slow down the program. Are all your files 42MB is size?

I purged your file, it's only 7MB is size: you have a lot of junk in there.

Message 10 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

well, this drawing has 43MB (which is quite big) and contains 1.3 mio objects (which is again quite big, above the average of course).

20160714_1704.png

The display on my side with that drawing is normal, so I can run orbit with a performance that I would say is ok for that data amount.

As Dean already pointed out: converting SketchUp models to AutoCAD means converting data from a system that is build more for visualization to a system that is really CAD, no optimization is done (e.g. every door in the kitchen is a separate polymesh (instead of a 3D-Solid and then used as block for each occurence)), so you have restrictions as long as you are using that file without a bit of work to make it more CAD-like 😉

Find attached a video which shows how your drawing is working on my system and let me know if your's is similar or where you find differences in speed or quality.

Everytime I get Sketchup data the first step is to change the Visual Style to something original.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hello,

Thank you very much Alfred and Dean for the help and I am so glad that is wasn't a fault on my laptop it self.

Thanks

Charlton

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi!

I also have the same problem with BigC03 commenter. Great laptop works very very very very slowwww with AutoCAD. My file is so large, 37 mb. 

What did you do to clean up his file and made it as small as 7mb. I really need help please. Thanksss

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi Sir, how did you do this? From 42mb to 7 mb. I badly need your help :'(

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report