Did you mean: 

PNG inserted into Autocad

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
tkinsley
32242 Views, 13 Replies

PNG inserted into Autocad

I'm having an issue with PNG files inserted into Autocad 2014.

I embed them via MS Paint, select all, copy...Then past into acad with paste special, Picture (Metafile);

When I try to print they sometimes print blank.  I've checked the setvar settings for OLEFAME, FRAME, IMAGEFRAME.  They are on a printable layer.  When they do print, the next time I open acad, I see blank frames.  I've also tried pasting them as Paintbrush Picture and image entity but to no avail.  

If I link them, they will print but when I open them later the images disappear.  But the xref manager shows them still linked.  Reloading does not work either.  

I tried recreating the PNG files.  Tried different machines.

I Tried embedding the files in Autocad 2017 with the same issue.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
john.vellek
in reply to: tkinsley

Hi @tkinsley,

Is there a reason you are using them as OLE objects and not straight images using IMAGEATTACH?

Can you attach some sample files so I can try to duplicate what you are seeing?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 14
tkinsley
in reply to: john.vellek

Sorry If I was not clear, I'm not using OLE (insertobj). 

I used insert raster image (imageattach) and then also tried paste special.  (imageattach) insert the file as a linked file whereas paste special embeds the file.  Embedding the image file is always preferred since one does not have to deal with external files.  

Message 4 of 14
pendean

You issue appears to be more of a pathing problem than anything else: when embedded images vanish it's because you unintentionally left an OLE link (or an imageattach reference) that after reopening died and went away.

That's 99.99% accurate. I doubt yours is that 0.01% "something else". If ylu think otherwise then prove it: embed an image in a new file and do what you want. QSAVE, CLOSE and quickly ZIP a copy of the file. Now open it and get it to disappear: if it does, QSAVE, CLOSE and ZIP a a new copy of this file. Post both ZIP files here. A dead link will appear here to us in both your files, a vanishing act 0.01% error will only appear in your second zip here to us.
Message 5 of 14
tkinsley
in reply to: pendean

Thanks you for your time and assistance.

Attached is an autocad file with 3 images embedded (2 subject png files and a random JPG fish pic as test).  The file was started new and at NO TIME was an OLE (insertobj) or insert raster image (imageattach) command ever used in this file.  The three images were all embed using the same process. From Paint, select all, copy and then in acad paste special.  As you can see the images that are PNG are blank and the JPG is not.

Also, your comments about "this percentage" and "that percent"  made no sense?  Not sure what you were trying to say.

Message 6 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @tkinsley,

When you copy/paste to get the image into your drawing it becomes an OLE object as you can see in this:

Capture.PNG

You might try saving it as an WMF or enhanced WMF and then use WMFin to see if it behaves any differently.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 14
tkinsley

thank you for your input,

Yes I'm aware of how it displays in properties window once you paste an image to embed in the drawings.  The test JPG image also similar but shows up?

By suggesting another image format are you telling me that there is some bug or limitations with using PNG images?

Message 8 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @tkinsley,

Try this test for me:

Open your PNG file in MS Paint

Select ALL

Copy

In AutoCAD, Paste Special

Paste as Image Entity.

Does this behave better for you when you close and then reopen your file?

John Vellek

Message 9 of 14
pendean

>>>... From Paint, select all, copy and then in acad paste special...<<<
Instead of PASTESPEC command, simply use PASTECLIP command (ctrl+V) and that should eliminate your OLE connections.

There is no user-unattended mechanism to turn a simply pasted image into an connected OLE in AutoCAD after the fact. BUT all inserted images list as OLE.

Message 10 of 14
tkinsley

Thanks, Yes I previously tried all the different format during my test phase and that didn't resolve issue.

Message 11 of 14
tkinsley
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean,

I tried the crtl-v to paste the file in autocad but it disappeared completely, no frame.  I tried this and the other suggestion with different PNG files, created from a different source, but issues still exist.

Message 12 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @tkinsley,

The obvious answer to me, since you indicated that JPG files work, is to use JPG files 🙂

But, let's see if we can nail this down. Try using this PIXLR software to save the PNG to see if it behaves differently. I have been reading that a 32-bit PNG might work better or at least differently.

[EDIT] Another solution that seems to work for some conditions is to insert the image into a dwg file. Then, insert that file into your drawing.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 14
BIG_DAHEEY

here you go. Copy the image and use the command "pastespec". The image will be imbeded. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/2368a4f0-ba11-441e-800b-999c175ecf58

Message 14 of 14
josethindick.ji

If the image is PNG file you should fill it with white using photoshop. and save it to jpeg. and now you can insert the image to the Cad file with white background .and for removing the frame please refer to : https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoC...

1. Click Modify menu Object Image Frame.
  2. To hide image boundaries, enter 0; to show and plot image boundaries, enter 1; to show image boundaries but not plot them, enter 2.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost