Did you mean: 

Plotting in AutoCAD 2018 results in Large File Size

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mdonovanPPE
3550 Views, 6 Replies

Plotting in AutoCAD 2018 results in Large File Size

When we use AutoCad 2018 to print to PDF, the resulting file size is about 3x ~ 10x the size compared to the same file printed with same settings using AutoCad 2016.  About 20 people at my firm use AutoCad 2016, and we all print fine, but the two engineers who use AutoCad 2018 both have this problem with large PDF sizes.   I've tried all the available plotters (including DWG to PDF, out  standard, and AutoCad PDF (smallest file)), adjusting vector quality and raster quality to the lowest settings, and turning off layers and hyperlinks.  None of it makes much difference.  Why such a huge difference in file size when using 2018?  And what can I do to make them smaller?

I've attached eTransmit of a sample "G200" sheet from our drawings, and the resulting PDFs from 2016 and 2018 versions of Cad, using the same PDF plot settings.  The 2018 PDF is >  10x the size of  the 2016 PDF.  

Please note: we do use image and object transparency in all of our files. This is not negotiable for the type of work we do.  I know it affects PDF size, but 18 people have no problem with it using AutoCad 2016.  

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

What you are seeing is due to the new PDF Import function. In order to speed up the process and output PDF import in AutoCAD (Introduced in 2017) the program adds content to the PDF. Your 2016 PDF file took 15 minutes to import at a DWG file size of 1.14MG. The file imported from your 2018 PDF took ~12 seconds at a DWG file size of 468KB. 

How to turn it off is another matter? Maybe @john.vellek can answer if there is a way?

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 3 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: mdonovanPPE

Hi @mdonovanPPE,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I'm sorry you are having problems with the PDF sizes coming out of AutoCAD 2018.  Try keeping Hyperlinks enabled as this will actually reduce the file size.  Make sure that you also do not convert the text to geometry in the PDF options. If you would like to etransmit a file or two, I am happy to see if I can make any suggestions to reduce the size.  I would need all xref files, fonts, and plot styles to produce the PDF just as you would in the office.  If this needs to remain confidential, you can email this data directly to me at john.vellek@autodesk.com. If you send me an email, please also include the URL of this thread so I can find my way back to it.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 7
mdonovanPPE
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks @john.vellek.   I did include an eTransmit in the original post.  Can you check those out?

Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @mdonovanPPE,

I apologize, I saw the PDFs and overlooked the ZIP file that you had attached.

I did play with the settings a bit and determined the big file size difference between versions appears to be due to the Transparency  being enabled during the plot.  This setting will increase the Raster content so the file is much larger. With it turned off, AutoCAD 2018 produces a file that is very similar in size.

I believe the larger size with the Transparency turned on is due to differences in the Render engine.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 7
mdonovanPPE
in reply to: john.vellek

@john.vellek.  

Is there some way to downgrade the render engineer to the way it was with 2016? 

Message 7 of 7
john.vellek

HI @mdonovanPPE,

To my knowledge, here is no way to disable the way this works in AutoCAD 2018.  If you really need the transparency turned on, try reducing the Raster DPI in the PDF options to get the file smaller.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta