Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palettes activate/made current during commands?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
AVieira12
441 Views, 7 Replies

Palettes activate/made current during commands?

Using Windows 10 - AutoCAD 2018

I have been getting this issue a lot lately, just having switched to Win10. While I am typing a command, palettes (such as the layer manager) become current, thus stopping my command and I have to "re-activate" the ACAD window to finish the command - this also happens when merely panning or zooming. When this happens it appears that the palette is being refreshed or something. Is this a CAD thing or a Windows thing? Is there a way to stop this? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: AVieira12

Are you typing commands into the on-screen display (DYNMODE>0), or a floating command line, or a docked command line? There is a bug in Civil 3D where the command line input is re-routed to a background drawing, but that is limited to Civil 3D, so would not apply here. You say it happens during panning+zooming? Does that mean while you're using the middle mouse button to pan+zoom?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
AVieira12
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for responding.

DYNMODE=3 and scrolling to zoom (I should have just said zoom but PAN&ZOOM just comes naturally together for me so I haven't noticed it when panning using the middle button - my mistake). When I am scrolling to zoom it de-activates (the only word i can think of to describe whats happening) the CAD window and since usually I have the Layer Manger open - sometimes on Auto-Hide - this window or palette becomes current.

It happens not only when typing a command but also while a command is active as well. It doesn't clear or cancel the command but I do have to click back inside the drawing to make it current again and this sometimes messes with the running command. 

To explain it better, an example of the behavior is much like batch plotting / publishing and trying to do something outside of CAD. At each drawing during publish (whether in background or not) CAD activates itself and I have to re-click the window that I was working on, for instance Word or Excel, and if I was typing, the text would be entered into the command line (this is another issue but I don't have a huge problem with it, this is just to compare if anyone else has experienced it).

Message 4 of 8
rkmcswain

Any chance you could record this using Screencast, and upload it here?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 8
pendean

Is this a new PC with Win10 and a fresh install of 2018, or did you install Win10 over Win8/7 and do nothing else?
Your mouse and mouse driver are...? Is your mouse pointer by chance touching or hovering real close to the items that steal focus?
Your Win10 version is...?
Post a screenshot of your AutoCAD's ABOUT command pop-up too please.
Message 6 of 8
AVieira12
in reply to: pendean

CAD VersionCAD Version

Windows 10 10.016299 brandy-new computer, was reimaged but always a Win10 machine. New 2018 install.

Mouse is Logitech MX Master 2S w/ latest driver installed - 1.10.78.0

The cursor stays in the cad window as far as I know - it is certainly possible that the cursor jumps?... I do have 2 monitors plus the laptop screen. I keep the layman on a separate monitor than the CAD window. I will try a screencast but may not get to that today.

Message 7 of 8
pendean

Your 2018 is not fully updated: do so now.
Win10 vernum here is is 10.0.17134 Build 17134, so you have some updates to do there too.

Uninstall your mouse driver and restart Windows and let it run your mouse: see if that helps as well.

Message 8 of 8
AVieira12
in reply to: pendean

That is usually the first place I check when troubleshooting so *insert facepalm here*

Ran updates for both ACAD and Windows. It appears to have made a difference! My employer/IT department controls Windows Updates and they do not get "approved" until tested for security reasons. Either way, I haven't had the issue since running. 

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta