Did you mean: 

output paper size fit with the drawing

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
pvvppvvp
6321 Views, 20 Replies

output paper size fit with the drawing

In VISIO we can ask the output paper size fit to the drawing

Is it possible to do the same in AUTOCAD?

Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Mark_C_123
in reply to: pvvppvvp

In your plot window tick ''fit to paper''

Message 3 of 21
Vinayv4v

Hi,

You can use the fit to paper and center to plot option for (window, display & extents). But if you set you drawing as per layout by setting up a page then there is no need to go for fit to paper.

Plot1.JPG

Thanks & Regards

Cheers,

Vinay Vijayakumaran

Message 4 of 21
john.vellek

HI @pvvppvvp,

In AutoCAD, it sort of works in reverse. Since paper sizes are typically fixed in some fashion Letter, legal, tabloid, etc., one selects the paper size and then makes the drawing fit the paper size (as described by others in this thread).

If you want, you can measure your drawing and then create custom paper sizes that would fit your drawing at a specific scale.  This is typically done in the PC3 file for the printer driver that you are targeting.

To do this, open the properties for your printer/plotter in the Page Setup or Plot dialog. You will then see Custom Paper Sizes listed. Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 21
pvvppvvp
in reply to: john.vellek

The problem is

I want to import this output PDF file from AUTOCAD to other program....

Specifically,  I am using LaTeX to write paper and drawing pictures using AUTOCAD.

The PDF file will normally be resized in LaTex... 

Message 6 of 21
john.vellek

Hi @pvvppvvp,

This appears to be a desktop publishing program.  When you are inserting the PDF produced from AutoCAD, are you concerned with the scaling of the objects or the amount of white space?

Please give me a better idea of how you are constructing your document. I am just curious if you don't always want AutoCAD to print at 1:1 and then remove "paper" margins after the PDF is produced.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 21
pvvppvvp

LaTeX is a standard software for scientific publishing (before WORD appear....google)

The code used for LaTeX look like this

\begin{figure}[tb]
\begin{center}

\mbox{
\subfigure[]{\includegraphics[width=0.5\columnwidth, angle=0]{ant3.pdf}}
\subfigure[]{\includegraphics[width=0.5\columnwidth, angle=0]{ant4.pdf}}
}
\caption{to experimental data}
\end{center}
\end{figure}

Message 8 of 21
pvvppvvp

how do i remove paper margin?

Message 9 of 21
Mark_C_123

Not entirely sure what you mean but ---  untick ''display paper background'' under the ''display'' tab in options

Message 10 of 21
john.vellek

HI @pvvppvvp,

To remove the extra white space you will need to use a graphics editing package or one that is designed for handling PDF files specifically such as Adobe Acrobat.

Have you considered printing the drawing to a different format such as JPG or TIFF? You can even set the number of pixels.

Either that or plot your objects to FIT a specific page size and then scale the PDF to the correct size.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 21
steve216586

From what I am reading I may have an easy solution for you in dealing with your plot size.

First, AutoCAD makes it very difficult to plot/print a drawing without scaling your objects in model space or creating a "known" paper size .pdf and then trying to remove white space. Or you will have to scale it, to fit on your page, in your import program.

What you can do is determine what size you will insert your plot into your document. As an example 3" x 2.5". Then in paperspace, on a layout tab, create a rectangle that same size. Turn the rectangle into a viewport by using MVIEW, then select object, then select your rectangle. If you activate the viewport by double clicking into it you can resize your model space object to fit inside this viewport. Double click mouse wheel performs a "ZOOM ALL" in a viewport.

Now you must set up your plot by using Page Setup Manager. You can do this by left clicking on a layout tab and selecting it. Create a custom layout using Adobe as your plotter. Then select what to plot and click on WINDOW. You can click opposite corners of your viewport. Then in scale select FIT TO PAPER. Down at the lower right check in the box for CENTER THE PLOT.

You now have a .pdf of just your drawing in modelspace, fit into an area without much white space as a border. You can also select to make background transparent in your import program or through any photoshop type program.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 12 of 21
pvvppvvp
in reply to: Mark_C_123

where is this option?

Message 13 of 21
Vinayv4v

Hi,

This option is present in OP>Display

DIsp.jpg

Thanks & Best Regards

Cheers,

Vinay Vijayakumaran

Message 14 of 21
john.vellek

HI @pvvppvvp,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem.  Do any of the suggestions here sound like something you want to explore? Do you need help setting up your plot for a method? Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 21
pvvppvvp

no I have not got a satisfactory answer.

Of course I can always out the PDF and edit the PDF by other software but that is not a solution at all.

Message 16 of 21
RobDraw

@pvvppvvp wrote:

no I have not got a satisfactory answer.

Of course I can always out the PDF and edit the PDF by other software but that is not a solution at all.

Why so critical? People are trying to help you out.

Just in case you didn't get it, the option is not available because printing from AutoCAD requires you to set a paper size. Sorry, there is no one button solution. Additional steps are necessary.

Satisfactory?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 17 of 21
SEANT61

Are you trying to get a "Full Bleed" PDF output?  Maybe like this?

FullBleed.png

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 18 of 21
pvvppvvp
in reply to: SEANT61

You picture is satisfactory.

But I cannot find out the secrete in the screen you provided.

Where is the key point? Please advice.

Message 19 of 21
pvvppvvp
in reply to: RobDraw

I am not picky.....I have known AUTOCAD did not provide those function I dream of...and quite surprised to find out

AUTOCAD provided little format to exchange with other software....(other software provided many...)

Thanks for those who helped me......You are highly appreciated.

Message 20 of 21
SEANT61

I believe some options already exist for full bleed, but for custom sizes, use a process similar to that shown below.

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost