Did you mean: 

New linetype

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
bthomas_tta
3255 Views, 45 Replies

New linetype

I am trying to create a new linetype in AutoCAD 2000i.  In a new drawing, at the command prompt, I type in -linetype, then c (for create), then FB1 for the new linetype name, then click on the acad.lin icon, click on save, type in 1 Hr Fire Barrier for the description text, then type in:  A,.177527,-.096957,.046256,-.096957,.177527,-.004554,"FB1",PEA_Notes,y=-.052322,s=.1,u=0],-.249357 then click enter then enter again.  When I then try to load the new linetype, it doesn't exist.

I got the code from the University of Nevada as a linetype for a 1 hr fire barrier on a Life Safety drawing I am trying to draw.

45 REPLIES 45
Message 41 of 46
bthomas_tta
in reply to: paullimapa

I am experimenting with these files, editing the codes to try and get a feel for what they mean and their result.  I don't like cart blanc copying from others but greatly appreciate learning what I don't know.  You have been a great help as I continue to learn.  If you are a teacher, I applaud you, there aren't enough good ones out there.

Message 42 of 46
bthomas_tta
in reply to: richard_387

Why do you use such long dash/dot lengths (6 digits)?  I'm trying to understand that.  I have been experimenting with creating my own linetypes and have been keeping those lengths down to 3 or 4 digits.  I don't know why, just trying to understand the reason behind it.  I did read that the lengths are based on drawing units.  I always use architectural units and deg/min/sec.  Without doing the math myself, are the decimal units a percentage of one (1) inch?

Another question; I created a linetype that had too many dash/dot definitions.  I read that only twelve (12) are allowed.  Is that unique to my version of cad (2000i) or is it SOP?  The linetype I was creating was for a 4 hour fire barrier consisting of one long dash, 3 short dashes and another long dash with spaces between each dash.  I can come up with another pattern but that would break the pattern from my one hour, two hour and three hour linetypes.  It's not a big deal, I've never used a 4 hour barrier in 45 years and don't think I will in whatever time I have left.  Someone decided to limit the number of definitions at 12, I always seem to be the odd ball.

Message 43 of 46
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: bthomas_tta

@bthomas_tta wrote:

.... I created a linetype that had too many dash/dot definitions.  I read that only twelve (12) are allowed.  Is that unique to my version of cad (2000i) or is it SOP?  The linetype I was creating was for a 4 hour fire barrier consisting of one long dash, 3 short dashes and another long dash with spaces between each dash.  ....

12 is still the limit.

For the 4-hour, do you want two long dashes with a space between those two, in addition to spaces between the long and the 3 short dashes?  If you really just want

Kent1Cooper_0-1707418707063.png

then all you need to define is only the long and 3 shorts.  It will put another long at the end.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 44 of 46
bthomas_tta
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

See attached.  My plan was to continue that pattern for the 4 hr barrier but it added too many definitions.  Not a big deal, I can come up with something else to make that linetype.  I was trying to maintain consistency.  The reason I added spaces before and after the text is to prevent overlap.  This is a very good learning experience.

Message 45 of 46
richard_387
in reply to: bthomas_tta

In reply to your question about why do I use 6 digits in the description, the answer is that I don't. I was merely cart blanc copying from your post. I see that you disapprove of that, but I was trying to show you that your definition could work. You may have noticed that the bottom definition in my picture of line types had considerably less digits. Also there is a limit of one 80 character line for the definition, besides the 12 dash-length specifications. You could save space by making textstyles with far shorter names.

You do not need a space before and after the text. You should be using the x= factor. I will leave you to discover how to use that, but I did show it in my line definitions.

As far as the 6 digit numbers in the original linetypes came into being, my theory is that they were written with the command MKLTYPE, which was available in Express Tools. Possibly you have that installed, but to my mind, manual is best.

Message 46 of 46
bthomas_tta
in reply to: richard_387

It isn't that I disapprove, I was curious as to why.  I too have been copying cart blanc.  Doing so raised my curiosity.  I did notice your definition had fewer digits.  Again, I was curious as to why.  My original thought was that there was some industry protocol that all of the examples I was finding used all those digits.  I was trying to learn the what for and why.  This has been quite a leaning experience for me and I do thank you for your expertise and patience.  You have been a great help.  I'll researching the industry standard representation (if there is one) for life safety linetypes.  I'd like to be correct in what I show rather than being the dumb SOB who doesn't know what he is doing.  I still have lots to learn.

Using the X factor gives me something new to play with.  I hadn't gotten into that yet.  Thanks again for all your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report