Multiply page PDF import

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
tony.bischoff
17922 Views, 28 Replies

Multiply page PDF import

hello All

I need help, when I import a PDF from a PDF that is more than 1 page, how do I put that page back in its spot in the PDF. or can I open the whole PDF in 1 drawing? 

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
john.vellek
in reply to: tony.bischoff

Hi @tony.bischoff,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

In my experience, you can only import one page of a PDF.  I suggest separating or copying the page to a new PDF to get them all into AutoCAD.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 29
MMcCall402

I'm not sure I understand the part about putting the pdf page back in its spot.  The insert into the drawing only puts an image of the pdf page in the drawing and leaves the original pdf unchanged.

Multipage pdfs:  Yes, I've inserted them before. You can choose any selection of pages from the pdf. When inserting a window will open showing all the pages.  If you pick multiple pages to insert at one time you'll be prompted to place each one but they won't appear until the last one selected is placed.  I've had as many as 64 pages from one pdf in a single drawing.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 4 of 29
tony.bischoff
in reply to: MMcCall402

how do you insert multiple pages? you don't me what you do but not how to do it, it looks like it only lets me insert 1 page on a drawing.

Message 5 of 29
maratovich

You need to use the publication. This will create a multi-sheet pdf.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Software development
Automatic creation layouts and viewport. Batch printing drawings from model.
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 6 of 29
tony.bischoff
in reply to: maratovich

how? I don't know how to do that. can you give me a step by step?

Message 7 of 29
MMcCall402

The attached screencast goes thru the process I use for inserting multiple pages from a multipaged PDF.  The initial placement of the pages in the dwg file is a little blind as you can't see any of the pages being inserted until the last one in the selection is placed.  They can be moved, resized or deleted after being placed in the drawing.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 8 of 29

Subsequent to referencing/inserting the multi-page pdf, how can I change to another page in the multi-page pdf? Is that possible?

Message 9 of 29
cadffm
in reply to: david.harmsT6KLF

There is no ootb function for page switching, just via programming/tools

- Sebastian -
Message 10 of 29

Thanks for the Screencast..... 

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 11 of 29

Maybe this will help you: AutoImportCAD 

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 12 of 29
mdr_tim.sparks
in reply to: cadffm

I need to be able to do this at a command line or with a program.  You said there is programming tools for importing all the pages of a PDF?

Message 13 of 29
maratovich
in reply to: mdr_tim.sparks

@mdr_tim.sparks  написал (-а):

I need to be able to do this at a command line or with a program.  You said there is programming tools for importing all the pages of a PDF?

Did you read the message before yours ?

There is a link-the answer to your question.

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 14 of 29

Yes, you can import all the pages. In the External References manager, rt mouse click and select pdf. Navigate to the desired pdf file. You can select a single page in the pdf, hold ctrl and select random pages or select all pages. When prompting for the insertion point, pick the various locations for the pages and be aware that the pages won't be inserted/xref'd until you are done picking all the page locations in the drawing. They will then display after picking all the points.

If you need to import only a selected page but then need to change it, here is the contents of the lisp routine (CHG_PDF_PAGE.lsp) that I use:

(vl-load-com)
;change sheet number, no error checking
(defun c:csn ( / pdf n)
(setq pdf (vlax-ename->vla-object(car(entsel))))
(setq n (getint "\nSheet number: "))
(if n
(vla-put-itemname pdf (itoa n))
)
(vla-update pdf)
(princ)
)
Message 15 of 29

Yes....I downloaded it too.  Was hoping for some Visual Lisp to do it with instead.

I downloaded a different app and it gives me a page count of a folder of PDFs that I can copy and paste into a lisp routine and drive the -PDFImport command.  Have not fully tested yet.

Message 16 of 29

Thanks.  I need to count the number of pages in the PDF so I can drive the PDFImport command.

It asks for page numbers.

Message 17 of 29
campbelllVTPBE
in reply to: MMcCall402

I have a single PDF file containing 338 sheets of electrical schematics.

Is there a way to automate importing it into AutoCAD?

I tried one sheet and thankfully it did convert to editable AutoCAD objects and text which I think means the PDF was exported from AutoCAD?

Thanks much

Message 18 of 29
cadffm
in reply to: campbelllVTPBE

Hi,

do you have a problem to set 338 insertion point, or what is the problem?

If you insert the pdf, select all pages and Autodesk asks for the play

for page1.page2,

page3

and so on.

with SNAP on, it's faster to set all pages than asking here for anothre solution 😉

or use a tool like this: Click!

- Sebastian -
Message 19 of 29

Not that I am aware of w/o writing a special lisp app. It is possible to import multiple pdf sheets into one model. First, be sure to setup a grid with a spacing that works for the pdf sheet size. Then, turn on grid. In the reference manager, right click and select Attach PDF or choose it from the pull-down list at top left of palette. When the list of pdfs displays you can select 1, multiple specific ones or all. Have insertion point set to on-screen. Pick each grid point to set the insertion point for the pdf page. That's as close as I can get you to automating unfortunately. I suspect you actually want the pdf sheets in separate files in their own model. That being the case, my workflow is not acceptable.

As an option to try, reach out to the guy at https://jtbworld.com/ and see if he has anything that would work for you. Sometimes these guys will throw something together for nothing or for a small fee. In your case, I would call small $200 or less small considering the time it would save you.
If you do find something, let me know.
Good luck!
Message 20 of 29

Step A - check Use Shift in Options

Step B - select multiple pdf pages in pdfattach

Step C - click your little heart out to place sheets on drawing

Step C.1 - take a week vacation while waiting for this to complete

Step D - select all for pdfimport

I was hoping to somehow automate Step C but not finding an easy way to do it. As several have said - I'll bet it can be done with custom programming but that would exceed my threshold of pain. Fortunately I'm paid by the hour.

Seriously - thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost