Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh to solid issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
morganism3
451 Views, 3 Replies

Mesh to solid issue

Hello, TIA, a while back, I downloaded this mesh of the topography of a place in Santa Fe, NM. I made this attached PDF. Since then, the DWG file that the PDF is based on got destroyed. It seems simple, but I cannot remember how to make the mesh become the thing in the PDF. I've tried several options, most of which end in various error messages along the lines of 'this needs to be an object/solid/surface/etc/etc to do this option'. I don't remember if I somehow extruded and sliced the uneven surface off the bottom, or unioned it to a cube, or what. Please help! My 3D modeling is still a little sparse. EDIT TO ADD: this is for visual purposes only... so if there's any imperfections such as an hollow center, a mm space between to things, etc., it doesn't matter for these purposes.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

my way would be to

• command _CONVTOSURFACE to convert the mesh to a surface
  • command _LINE ... and draw a line vertically with 1000 length (into negative z-direction)
  • command _EXTRUDE option _PATH and use the line as path
  • command _UNION if the extruded objects are multiple ones
  • command _SLICE and use the depth you like

sample attached

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4

It’s a good answer but it yields the wrong look - when I do it that way, I get a bunch of horizontal lines stretching across the topography every 5’ or so
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

set the visual style to realistic, it looks then like this:

20210310_215522_0001.png

Quite similar to your PDF, isn't it?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report