Did you mean: 

Massive PDF

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
710 Views, 5 Replies

Massive PDF

I'm doing a project at the moment that is a bit different from what I normally do, and I'm stumped by the size of my PDF. It's a large steel rack that I've drawn in 3D, and although the CAD file is 4,700 KB, the PDF's are coming in at about 50,000 KB (largest plot was 100,000 KB, smallest I've been able to get was 37,000 KB). I've tried changing my plot settings to not include layers, fonts, etc. I usually use Bluebeam, so I've also tried using Adobe and the AutoCAD smallest PDF options. I had a couple viewports that were circles, so after reading some people had problems with that I made them regular defpoint rectangles. I also had a couple viewports that I was trying to plot as "hidden" and when I changed them back to "as displayed" that helped a little, but still not enough. I really don't know what other things to try at this point, but my clients can't view my PDF without it loading for ages, so I need to try and find some sort of solution. Any help would be really appreciated!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Your complex multi-level model may be the culprit, your individual views are also plotting all the segments below that level.

Capture.PNG 

Message 3 of 6
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

I agree with Dean's assessment. This model is not simple. I suggest that you explore breaking the model into several files that can be xref'ed.  Then move your layout tabs to individual drawing files that reference your model files.  You can then use publish or even better use SheetSets to produce your PDF(s). You will find the drawing performance will be improved and it will be easier to produce your PDF file(s).  It might be necessary to print individual PDFs of each layout and then Zip them together as appropriate.  The hidden plotting will also create raster content rather than vector which will make the resulting PDF considerably larger.

Lastly, please consider moving geometry closer to 0,0 as that will also help performance.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Alright thanks. I'll give that a try.

Message 5 of 6
3wood
in reply to: pendean

Another way is to convert the large sized vector format pdf file into a raster format pdf.

Just double click the pdf file and open it in Adobe Reader.

Then print it into another pdf file with the "Print as image "setting on:

Capture.jpg

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: 3wood

That's a great idea. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report