Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Element in Vanilla AutoCAD?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ergoarchitecture
674 Views, 9 Replies

Mass Element in Vanilla AutoCAD?

We are using vanilla AutoCAD, not AutoCAD Architecture, to model structures to render in Lumion.  We need to create "Mass Elements" to mark object locations (don't ask...) but these seem to exist only in AutoCAD Architecture.  I am wondering if this element type even exists in the AutoCAD database?

If so, is there an Express tool or something that would allow us to create them?  Or could we convert another element to a Mass Element?  Or write a LISP routine to do this conversion?

Any hints or help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cadffm
in reply to: ergoarchitecture

I am not a pro in architecture, but "mass element" should be a simple 3dsolid object, or?
Try command BOX for example..
Change workspace to 3D.. and you will see more basic shapes and boole edit options.

Sorry if i am wrong with it.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
ergoarchitecture
in reply to: cadffm

Thanks for the quick response! I believe a Mass Element is an entity type in AutoCAD architecture, and we have been unable to produce them in plain old AutoCAD. The BOX command, EXTRUDE, and other methods of creating volumes all seem to produce “3D SOLID” entity types in AutoCAD. Lumion does not recognize 3D SOLIDs, just MASS ELEMENTS, but we can’t seem to produce them.
Message 4 of 10

Can you import a Mass Element from a file that was created with AutoCAD Architecture then copy it in plain AutoCAD as needed?

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 10

That is a possibility too, but of course we don't have AutoCAD Architecture so I can't make one to test with.  Perhaps someone on the forum with AutoCAD Architecture could post one and I could test to see if it remains a mass element when I insert it?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 10

Hi @ergoarchitecture,

Here is a Mass Element from AutoCAD Architecture 2019 for you to test.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 10

Hi John, thanks for attaching that!  I tried to insert it but since I am still on AutoCAD 2017 it came up as in invalid block.  We have 2018 & 2019 but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet, and I am not likely to this afternoon.  I am downloading AutoCAD's TrueView converter to see if that will help.  I will report back later...

Message 8 of 10

I successfully inserted John's masselem.dwg into an AutoCAD 2018 drawing.  After exploding the block reference the properties panel indicates the object is an AEC_MASS_ELEM.  I output a dxf file and examined the data for the mass element and it looks good!

Bottom line, I think you can use  "vanilla" AutoCAD to copy mass elements. me1.PNG

Lee

lee.minardi
Message 9 of 10

Thanks Lee!  That is very encouraging!

I tried to install TrueView but after downloading and a 20 minute install process it finally gave up and said that it failed to install properly.   In the meantime, someone from Lumion sent along a Mass Element in ACAD 2013 format.  It inserted fine, and retained its object properties until we tried to copy or array it.  The children were plain old 3D Solids!

Your post gives me hope that we can define it as a block and as long as we merely insert it repeatedly, it should remain a Mass Element.  That would suit our needs fine!

Thanks for the help!  I will report back once we have sorted it all out and found a viable workflow as I am sure we are not the only ones with this problem!

Steve

Message 10 of 10

Hello again,

I finally got TrueView installed properly and saved the Mass Element in AutoCAD 2013 format and it was not visible when I opened it.  I was able to select it by doing a select all, but it's object type had switched to a proxy object.  I guess I may have to install AutoCAD 2018 to get it to work?  Thanks again for all the help!

Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report