Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the Radius dimension have a shorter leader

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
claimed4all
6161 Views, 6 Replies

Make the Radius dimension have a shorter leader

I use the radius dimension alot (Civil World) and for the life of can not figure out if I can make the leader shorter.  I have attached a screen shot of what I get.  What I want is the value (R20') to be closer to the arrow resulting in a shorter leader.  Is this even possible?

My usual work around is to just draw a leader line and place a MTEXT on it manually.  Its time consuming and silly, I just want a shorter leader.

RadiusDimension.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: claimed4all

@claimed4all wrote:

...What I want is the value (R20') to be closer to the arrow resulting in a shorter leader.  Is this even possible?

You should be able to grab that grip under the text part and drag it closer to the arrowhead.  How close it will let you get is, I think, determined by the DIMGAP System Variable.  You might also experiment with DIMJUST to have it placed there initially, but that will affect linear dimensions, too.  But you could use DIMOVERRIDE to apply a different DIMJUST value only to Radial Dimensions.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 7
claimed4all
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Those steps are a no go.  Text is already dragged as close to the arrow head as possible.

DIMGAP only changes the height/gap between my text and the leader line, it does not bring it closer the arrow.

DIMJUST, I tried all 5 modes and not a single one resulted in a better text posistion.

Message 4 of 7
M_Hensley

You could try the DIMJOGGED dimension type. It allows for more adjustments, but requires a lot more picks.

Message 5 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@claimed4all wrote:

Those steps are a no go.  Text is already dragged as close to the arrow head as possible.

Looking at Dimensioning variables a little more, it seems that whether the text goes inside or out on linear dimensions depends on whether the arrowhead and a line segment equal to the arrow size off each arrow leave enough space for the text between them -- it won't put an arrowhead with no line, nor with a line that isn't at least as long.  I didn't dig deeply enough to find whether there's anything explicit about that in relation to Radius Dimensions, but it looks like the distance from the "butt" end of your arrowhead to your text is about the arrowhead length.  If that's the issue, a shorter arrowhead would help.  In fact, we use a shorter arrowhead than AutoCAD's standard one, specifically for the reason that it less often kicks the text outside, though the Radius issue was not an explicit reason behind that choice.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 7
doben

Try this:

Place your dimension then use  "AIIDIMTEXTMOVE"  (2 to move text alone) to position the text where you want.  Then use "DIMBREAK" on the leader. Or you can skip the move part and just use dimbreak..

(I've added AIDIMTEXTMOVE and other dim options to my shortcut menu)

Message 7 of 7
claimed4all
in reply to: doben

That works.  Thank you.  May set up an Action Recorder to get  shorten radius all down to one command in which I just pick points and move text.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost