Did you mean: 

Looking for Shortcut to adjust MTEXT width when using QLEADER

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tiger4956
1059 Views, 3 Replies

Looking for Shortcut to adjust MTEXT width when using QLEADER

Question:  Is there a keyboard shortcut that will fit the text width to the text in the mtext editor?

In the Autocad mtext editor there's a little symbol at the end of the ruler bar that looks like a left & right solid arrow.  If you double-click it the text width auto-adjusts to the width of what you've already typed.  

I'm using Autocad MEP and Dragon Medical voice command with Autocad for almost all commands.  So, I try to find a way to do everything with keystrokes instead of the GUI.

I'd like to use QLEADER because it works well with voice command.

I realize  MLEADER  has an advantage because the mtext editor opens with the mleader command but I'd still like to use QLEADER because it's fast and simple.

Thanks,

Rob

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: tiger4956

No, nothing built-in does that.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: tiger4956

You want to use QLeader and want to be able to change the width of the associated text just like with Mtext? 

Do you know about the option of having QLeader prompt for Mtext width each time (under settings >  Annotation tab check prompt for width under MText option)?

You can still use Dragon and speak your QLeader command but you will need to speak / type to either enter the width or speak/press "Enter" to accept the default width showing on the command line. If you use the default width of "0",  the QLeader will create a single line of text.  When you change the QLeader text width, the change is retained until you change it again or until the close of the drawing or AutoCAD session. Anything other than "0" will create MText and give you the adjustment grips.

My dragon trained command is "Leader" for QLeader (with complete with a trailing return) and once voice the Mtext width, the next time all you need to do is accept the new default "ENTER"

Message 4 of 4
tiger4956
in reply to: Anonymous

I've been doing as you described and most of the time use a random default text width and then adjust it afterwards.  I was trying to find a faster way to adjust the width with keystrokes instead of editing grips. 

One of the most annoying scenarios is when the text width is much wider than the text.  The background mask covers more line-work than intended and I spend more time adjusting the text width than I did creating the leader in the first place!

I could really use a "macro" (Dragon script) that would fit the text "defined width" (as seen in properties) to the actual width of the text.

Thank you for the detailed scripting tips for Dragon - I had no idea you could do that!  I've been creating one Dragon command for every Autocad command.  Are you available for consulting?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report