Did you mean: 

Linetypes

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
trynders
1045 Views, 7 Replies

Linetypes

I need to create a linetype for a 6"Gas line.  the client wants the linetype to have the "G" and then a subscript 6 right after the "G".  I know how to get the "G" but not a second piece of text or "number" actually in the same space but half the size.

any thoughts?

I thought this would work but it doesn't

*G_LINE_6,GAS line 6 ----G--------G--------G------
A,3,-.5,["G",standard,S=.2,R=0.0,X=-0.3,Y=-.1],["6",standard,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.3,Y=-.1],-.1

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
trynders
in reply to: trynders

Success.  This works.  Although even that I reloaded the linetype, It still wasn't showing up correctly.  I had to exit the application and re-open it

A,3,-.5,["G",standard,S=.2,R=0.0,X=-0.3,Y=-.1],-.2,["6",standard,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.3,Y=-.1]

Message 3 of 8
trynders

Next question.  They also want double lines with different hatch patterns in them.  say a 24" wide line with a "net pattern" for the water and a 12" wide line for the gas with a different pattern. and so on.

Thoughts?

Message 4 of 8
DannyNL

That's not possible with a linetype as far as I know.

Without customization (an exploded) MLINE with HATCH is one of the solutions I guess, although you may need to HATCH each segment separately to be able to adjust the rotation of your HATCH according to the angle of the current segment.

Message 5 of 8
dseslar
in reply to: DannyNL

One way to get 'ticks' on a line is to use letters or backslashes in a linetype and overlay it on top of a line or offset from a line.  Examples to play with:

*SLASH, //////////
A,0,-0.05,["/",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=0,y=-0.05],-0.05
*BSLASH, \\\\\\\\\\
A,0,-0.05,["\",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=0,y=-0.05],-0.05

*BASKET, /\/\/\/\/
A,0,-0.05,["\",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=0,y=-0.05],-0.05,["/",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=0,y=-0.05]
*CRISCROS2, XXXXXXX
A,0,-0.05,["\",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=0,y=-0.05],0,["/",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=0,y=-0.05],-0.05

*CRISCROS, XXXXXXX
A,0,["X",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=0,y=-0.05],-0.07
*THISWAY, >>>>>>>>
A,0,-0.05,[">",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=-0.05,y=-0.05],-0.05
*THISWAY2, > > > > > >
A,0,-0.05,[">",standard,s=0.1,r=0,x=-0.05,y=-0.05],-0.15

These linetypes were created assuming the Standard text style is set to Simplex, 0.0 height and 1.0 width.  Certainly other text style name and fonts can be used with appropriate adjustments to the definitions.

Also consider using blocks in the linetype definitions instead of text objects.

With respect to linetypes not updating in Autocad, I've also noticed that lately on a Acad2017/Win10 installation -  when loading a new definition for an existing linetype name on earlier versions of Autocad, a simple regen would display the new definition on lines with that linetype assign.  My workaround is to reassign a different temporary linetype to existing objects with a linetype to be displayed (or erase them if only testing) and then purge the linetype with its old definition.  I then reload the linetype with the new definition and assign it to the intended lines.  Success!

Message 6 of 8
dseslar
in reply to: dseslar

Oops -

That should have said shapes not blocks - "Also consider using shapes in the linetype definitions instead of text objects."

One problem with shapes is they are not added to the drawing file when called (just as text fonts are not added).  If one uses shaped from a custom .shx file (or a stock Autocad .shx file that has had custom additions), this .shx has to be provided with the drawing that calls it or the drawing will not display or plot correctly on other computer setups.  This will also happen if a non-standard Windows/Autocad font file is used for definitions.  Using File>eTransmit will collect everything a drawing file or set will need to display & plot properly when sharing files with others.

Message 7 of 8
Kent1Cooper

@trynders wrote:

Next question.  They also want double lines with different hatch patterns in them.  say a 24" wide line with a "net pattern" for the water and a 12" wide line for the gas with a different pattern. and so on.

Thoughts?

You could get fairly close to something like that with a Shape-based linetype, such as in the image [no, I didn't create a linetype; it's simulated].  The Shape would be the white at upper left [just an example -- you could define various kinds of "guts" within].  The upper right part would be what a linetype could look like on a straight path.  But on a curved path [lower part], there would be kinkiness because the edges of the "curve" would be made of straight pieces, and with that Shape & linetype definition, there would be gaps on the outward edge and overlaps on the inward edge.  But if any curves you might have are gentle enough, that may not be noticeable.  You could also extend the top and bottom edges of that Shape to "close" the outer-edge gaps within up to a reasonable degree of curvature, though that would also make the overlaps on the inner edge more noticeable.  And in any kind of path there would almost always be bits of continuous line at the ends, depending on the relationship of the length to the linetype definition cycle.

HatchedLinetype.PNG

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 8
arpansark0544TCX

Hello guys,

I have created few line type. If it is of any help to you it will be great.

You have to load the line type first in the auto cad file attached before exporting it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report