Did you mean: 

Linetype text on 3D Polylines

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
roberte
684 Views, 1 Reply

Linetype text on 3D Polylines

Hi

Have had to do a few 3D utility drawings and was wondering is there a way to have linetype text that you can make on 2D polylines put on to 3D polylines.

Would be useful as at the moment I have been limited to using different coloured lines so that the 3D polylines for the utilies can be put to the correct depth below ground level. Would save me a lot of hassle of having to create separte 3D and 2D drawings.

For example if I had a Electricity linetype then a 2D polyline would have a solid line followed by a gap for the text then another solid line:

-------- Elec ---------

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: roberte

@roberte wrote:

.... was wondering is there a way to have linetype text that you can make on 2D polylines put on to 3D polylines.

I believe you're out of luck there -- 3DPolylines do not honor non-continuous Linetypes [not even the simple ones without text elements or shapes in them].  You could use something that puts Text labels anywhere you pick along a 3DPolyline [or any other appropriate entity], aligned with its local direction, such as LabelTextMask.lsp here [the one attached to the second post on page 3], or if you don't mind taking chunks out of your 3DPolylines, LabelTextTrim low on page 2 of the same thread.  But they're workarounds, because either way, the text elements won't move along with the 3DPoly if you stretch the shape of it, as they would with a text-containing Linetype.  Also, it does work with 3DPolylines that slope in the Z direction, but puts the Text in under the current plan view, so it will be aligned in the XY but not Z aspects of the 3DPoly at the point of selection.  That may be better for informational purposes, depending on how steeply things slope [Text that aligns with the vertical slope could become unreadable in plan if the slope is steep enough].

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost