Did you mean:ย 

Linetype problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
larsr2866
419 Views, 5 Replies

Linetype problem

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a new linetype for a hedge. I have already tried it with revcloud an also tried the 'mkltype' function but it doesn't give the result wich i am looking for. I have attached a screenshot wich i like to create.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have already searched a bit on the internet, and found that linetypes could also be created within wordpad files? But then you also need a shp and shx file?

Or is this possible with a lisp file?

It would be awesome if someone could help me with this a bit ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for your reactions!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dmfrazier
in reply to: larsr2866

If the "line" is always straight, another possibility is to array a pline or a block or create a dynamic block with an array action.

Message 3 of 6
larsr2866
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thanks for  your reaction.

I have the intension to use this linetype also on splines en round shapes, not only straight lines.

I have noticed that the 'Array' function gives weird results with this.

Message 4 of 6
Kent1Cooper

A linetype would be the most memory-efficient way to do it, but yes, that would require defining that as a Shape that the linetype definition can call for, meaning appropriate .shp and .shx files.

If you don't mind a little more memory consumption, you can draw your "path" [it doesn't need to be straight] and Array along it.  If you don't want to keep  the un-hedgified path that you Arrayed along, then it can't be an Associative Array, so you won't be able to easily alter the shape and have the things Arrayed follow.  But you could put the path on a construction-lines Layer that you can either turn off or set to not Plot, and then if you change its route, the things arrayed will adjust accordingly.

If you make the three Arcs into a single Shape for a linetype, or either select them together or define a Block for an Associative Array, you will get this kind of thing on paths that are not straight:

Hedge.JPG

[i.e. overshoots at bends and at the end].  But if you define Linetype with three Shapes, one for each Arc, that effect can be greatly reduced.  However, it would have the usual linetype issue that there will be straight pieces at the ends beyond full cycles of the linetype definition, something like this [faked approximation]:

Hedge2.JPG

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 6
larsr2866
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks!

I am willing to take the challenge to create it as a linetype.

Unfortunally i am totally new at this, and i found a few examples on the internet, but only with straight lines.

Does anyone have or know some examples wich i can rely on, with these arcs?

Another question: What does the 'shx' file stands for?

I know the 'shp' and 'lin' files must be created in wordpad, but not the 'shx' file?

Message 6 of 6
Kent1Cooper

@larsr2866 wrote:

... i found a few examples on the internet, but only with straight lines.

Does anyone have or know some examples wich i can rely on, with these arcs?

Another question: What does the 'shx' file stands for?

I know the 'shp' and 'lin' files must be created in wordpad, but not the 'shx' file?

You can make arcs in Shapes.  See >this<, pick on the Special Codes Reference item and look at the 00A Octant Arc entry.

The .shx filetype is a compiled  Shape [or Font] file.  You make it from the .shp file with the COMPILE command in AutoCAD.  [And Notepad is also good for making the .shp and .lin files.]

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report