Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop requirements for AutoCAD

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
raflores63966
10323 Views, 7 Replies

Laptop requirements for AutoCAD

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right location for this post but just had a quick question. Im starting school for drafting and design in the fall and their primary program they use is autocad. Not sure what all programs will be used but i know for sure just general autocad. Now im looking for a computer to run it and am looking at a laptop. i7, 512gb ssd, 16gb, Intel Iris 540 graphics. Now is the Intel Iris 540 good enough for autocad? The Surface Pro 4 says with the Iris 540 it will run cad but couldn't find anything else definite and the system requirements are confusing.

@raflores63966, john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity: AutoCad Question

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
john.vellek
in reply to: raflores63966

Hi @raflores63966,

Here are the system requirements for AutoCAD.

Here also is a recommended/certified hardware list for running the software.

While the card likely will run basic AutoCAD, it might have Graphics Performance features issues that will not allow AutoCAD to run at its full potential such as in 3D Modeling or in rendering.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 8
JDMather

@raflores63966 wrote:

... school for drafting and design in the fall ... The Surface Pro 4 says ...

I would not consider a screen less than 17.4 for CAD.

A full size keyboard with numeric keypad would be a requirement for me as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
raflores63966
in reply to: JDMather

Well I have a monitor to hook it up to wherever I will be working. I just need something more portable than a desktop. 

Message 5 of 8
pendean

http://hardware.autodesk.com

and skip fancy high 4k res displays, you want basic HD 1080 format only, read why here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Odd-gr...
Message 6 of 8
john.vellek

HI raflores63966,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 8
clandrew89

Hey.  so I use a laptop with an 17 (5000series) and too have 16g ram.  laptop gpu's seem to be the biggest fallback compared to desktops. Now my video card is slightly better than yours but still very close.

I use a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse as well.   You have to. unless you want to get that weird almost narcotic feeling you get when Cadding for hours on end.

But for your question:  My comp runs everything very smoothly. the start up is a little slow but its not a problem. As for the graphics, everything works flawlessly.  if your editing large images exploded into individual members...that is the only time you will find your computer hiccup.  and that's for 2d.

As for 3d, I have done several large truss dwgs and the images will get choppy if I start rotating around and zooming in and out very quickly. But it doesn't ever slow me down.

My simple answer is yes it will work. especially for LT work.

and make sure your comp doesn't run auto updates or have back round apps taking up ram.

edit: I just noticed you said your were looking at a laptop.  I would suggest finding one with an nvidea or amd graphics card. you could also try buying a comp with 8gs of ram and buying nicer 16g ram after market. its maybe 50$ if your on ddr3. great way to buy the comp off the shelf cheaper. the extra 8 gigs of memory already installed upsales the price in stores for way more.   just get the best processor you can (i7 6000seies) and find that low end amd radeon or nvidea GeForce that will come stock with your new comp. 

Hope that helps. I was in the same situation last year.

Thank you Autodesk community.
kudos for anyone who takes the time to help me out.
Message 8 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: clandrew89

@clandrew89 wrote:

...   You have to. unless you want to get that weird almost narcotic feeling you get when Cadding for hours on end. ..

You say this like it is a bad thing?

Are you a pretender or a dedicated CADder?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost