Did you mean: 

land xml

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
remi
2495 Views, 9 Replies

land xml

I am having a new problem that I have never seen before. I have used land xml for several years and never had much of any issues. However after editing a surface and trying to export it out to a surveyor the land xml on import triangulates outside the project area creating some erroneous data. I have never seen this before I have tried boundaries destructive and non-destructive. I tried editing the surface and deleting unneeded lines, all to no avail.

I have tried destructive and non destructive boundaries. i have went through every setting I can find. I opened the land xml and verified the command to trim exteriors lines is there. anyone have any thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: remi

Hi,

>> However after editing a surface and trying to export it out to a surveyor

>> the land xml on import triangulates outside the project area

First of all, you landed in the wrong forum, this forum here handles plain AutoCAD, not the vertical Civil 3D, so it might make sense to reask the question in the forum for Civil 3D >>>there<<<.

Back to your situation: have you imported the XML file back into your Civil 3D into a new drawing or is the result with the outside triangulation only wrong within the software of your surveyor? Just to isolate if it's the XML export that creates the error or the importer of any other software ...

Ah, yes, one more question: what version of Civil 3D and what servicepack have you installed?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10
remi
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I have I ma using Civil3D 2014. I have tried the import on mine computer into a fresh dwg using the same template used to create the land xml. I get triangulation outside of the original tin. The surveyor I sent it to tried importing to trimble it seemed to work ok there. He also tried importing into 2009 Land desktop and it triangulated outside of the original. So it seems I get varying results. I checked the xml file it does have the command to trim the boundary it just doesn't seem to do it sometimes.

Message 4 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have I ma using Civil3D 2014

have you installed latest service pack for Civil 3D?

>> it just doesn't seem to do it sometimes

Is it reproducable with a specific dataset/the same drawing?

If the surveyor can use the file it may be more a problem of XML-import in Civil 3D than an export problem, have you verified that?

Can you upload the dataset so we can try to play with your drawing?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 10
remi

HI ALFRED

I will do will I can I am tied up with a few items at this moment

Remi Fritz

CK3, LLC

Ontario: Hermiston:

368 SW 5th Ave. 945 W. Orchard Ave.

Ontario, OR 97914 Hermiston, OR 97838

Office: (541) 889-5411 Office: (541) 567-2345

Fax: (541) 889-2074 Fax (541) 567-2305
Message 6 of 10
remi

Hi 

Appreciate your waiting I had several things happening yesterday.

I have attached the dwg and land xml. I think it has to do with the import but I am baffled by which setting I have went through every setting I can find. I tried the import into as many different computers as I can I am getting various results with no rhyme nor reason that I can find

Message 7 of 10
andrewpuller3811

I had typed up a post explaining what the issue is, but when I went to send it, the forum did not post it. 😞

The issue has to do with the format that civil 3d exports the surface to xml, specifically theface elements.

When you export a surface to XML from Civil 3d, any faces that have been removed, either through being deleted or removed by border operations, get output to the xml with an extra attribute. Civil 3d obviously understands this, and does not show the faces that have the "ignore" attribute, but other software does not.

If you look through the XML you posted, you will see that some of the face elements have i="1" in them. You will find that these faces are not present in civil 3d.

To fix the XML file, you can open it in notepad and delete the face lines that have the extra attributes.

Below is part of the XML file you posted showing some of the faces. The first and last face elements will show in civil 3d, and the 2nd and 3rd elements with the extra attribute i="1" will have been removed in civil 3d. Unfortunately this attribute is not recognised by some other software. I don't know whether this is the fault of civil 3d or the other software, as i have not looked into the land XML standard to find out.

<F n="247 236 245">165 162 161</F>
<F i="1" n="253 244 246">20 165 161</F>
<F i="1" n="24 245 241">22 20 161</F>
<F n="248 244 252">166 162 165</F>

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 8 of 10
remi
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

I appreciate your comments and will add them to me personal reference book I keep for these types of Autocad/Civil3d issues.

However doing the import to trimble trimmed the surface correctly, then the import to Land Desktop didn't which seemed strange.

The first time I tried the import I used version 1.0 since the person I was sending the data to is using old software and I am never sure what versions will work for him. Version 1.0 didn't retain the boundary when imported back into the same computer with a clean dwg from the same template. So still think I have some issue I am not quite getting a hold of.

Message 9 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> However doing the import to trimble trimmed the surface correctly, then the import to Land Desktop didn't

Land Desktop is quite old now, so I guess that makes one (important) difference. I don't know it and I have no chance to try it but maybe this importer does not understand the removed/invisible face-setting.

>> I used version 1.0 [...] and I am never sure what versions will work

I can understand the thoughts, but at least it's the wrong start as every older interface does not support things you are now with your current version using.

Start with the newest release and if that does not work, then an older one back to the oldest. Or, when starting with a new partner, send him 3 versions and ask him, which one (beginning from the newest) can be imported.

A funny thing (not really) ... when I use Civil 3D 2014 to export your surface to XML version 1.0 I don't get it imported back at all as long as I don't set the units to feet before I start the import. And yes, reimporting the XML 1.0 file into Civil 3D also lost the border, I guess 1.0 interface gnores the "i=1" parameter like Andrew wrote.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 10
remi

Hi 

I appreciate the effort you have put on this. I guess I am mostly frustrated by the this happening in the first place. The client I am sending these land.xml to I have been working with for several years and I have sent him lots of xml's and never a problem like this. I also have the triangulation problem bring any of the versions back into my own computer into a new drawing from the same template with out any changes to the dwg. This is the first time for this problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost