Did you mean: 

Keyboard input delay

37 REPLIES 37
SOLVED
Message 1 of 38
peterjwinberg
17716 Views, 37 Replies

Keyboard input delay

Is there a setting to determine how quickly AutoCAD recognizes my keyboard input? Some examples of my issue...

"Move" is set as "M" and "Mirror" is set as "MI". When I'm in a groove my keystrokes and mouse action are very fast. If I want to mirror something I input "MI (then mouse right click)" in a subsequent microsecond, but CAD doesn't register the "MI". It only gets the "M" and runs the move command, so I need to exit out and start over.

It happens during a command as well. Let's say I want to move something 24 inches. I will select the object while in the move command and input "24 (then mouse right click)" very fast, but it will only register the 2 and move it 2 inches. 

The second of a double keystroke doesn't register unless I make myself delay. It adds up over time and is annoying. My home setup doesn't have this issue - only my office setup. INPUTSEARCHDELAY is not the issue.

Thanks!

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
rkmcswain
in reply to: peterjwinberg

Are you sure the input search isn't the problem.

Have you tried disabling autocomplete and autocorrect?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 38

Hi,

3 ideas (besides of the input-options already mentioned by @rkmcswain😞

1. make sure the command line is docked, not just close to the bottom border or on another monitor
  2. make sure your drawing window is maximized within AutoCAD
  3. try the same with disabled dynamic input (to be toggled with icon in status-line or DYNMODE)

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 38

I was hoping not to lose dynamic input, but setting DYNMODE to "0" seems to fix the problem.

Message 5 of 38

Come to think of it, I'm almost certain my home setup has dynamic input on, but doesn't have the problem. Oh well.

Message 6 of 38
rkmcswain

I still have this happen occasionally, and increasing INPUTSEARCHDELAY fixes it for the most part.

I always have DYNMODE=0 too.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 38

dynmode is not the solution. Mine is 0 for ages and I have the same problem.

together with some more.

When already have selected something, enter 'dr' (draworder) and after that twice the spacebar the second spacebar hit sometimes repeats the 'dr' input. This has NEVER been the case in previous versions and is utterly annoying.

Lately a new bug occurs. Input is not 'landing' in the drawing I am working in but in another one that is also opened in the same c3d session. So no reaction on the screen while typing. ctrl-tab to switch to another drawing and switch back resolves the issue. Again, quite annoying.

The best ones are like this: I hit LA (over here classiclayer)  the 'l' is executed in my current drawing. The 'a' is executed in another open drawing. It's getting more bizar as time ticks on it seems.

c3d object that don't unselect when hitting escape is a great new feature also. I realy love the extra left mouse click and another escape key hit. I have to do that a few Thousand times a day only.

All this fun costs me 1200 euro a year for annual desription but because autodesk needs more moeny to invent more crap while not fixing old issues they will soon charge 250 a month by cancelling annual subscription. Unfortunatelly there only 1 option and that is to keep using it.

Message 8 of 38

2 lines copied from my command input:

Command: m MOVE 3 found

Specify base point or [Displacement] <Displacement>: m@0,0,-.25

this happens quite often. Instead of picking a random point for 'first point' with a left mouse click the program all of a sudden thinks it has to repeat 'm' wich I use for the move command. After 20 years of working with autocad I do not check the command line when working. The only indication that this command did not work is that the next command does not respond like it should. It is utterly annoying because after this bug happens I have to check Z coordinate of the objects I wanted to move, thus wasting more time.

Dear autocad: I work with 2017 wich has this unique feature, Is this fixed in 2018?

Message 9 of 38

Command: DR DRAWORDER
Select objects: DR

*Invalid selection*
Expects a point or Window/Last/Crossing/BOX/ALL/Fence/WPolygon/CPolygon/Group/Add/Remove/Multiple/Previous/Undo/AUto/SIngle

Another very funny one. Object that I want to sent to the back with the draworder command was already selected. Second spacebar hit simply repeats the dr command. Again not checking the command line becaue it used to work for 20 years like this but being confronted with this bug again when already trying to something else. lol, trying because these days I never know if it works like intended :s

Message 10 of 38
CADbloke

LOL at the Autodesk suggestions at https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Comman...

Basically - "cripple it". That's good quality software.
- - - - - - -
working on all sorts of things including www.tvCAD.tv & www.CADreplace.com
Message 11 of 38
kgerman
in reply to: CADbloke

I have so many Civil 3D 2018 performance issues the list is too long to post.  I'm on a $3,500 Dell Precision Workstation with 8-Core Xeon processor, 64GB Ram, 1GB SSD Quadro M2000 and this software is a complete dog.  I'm running out of things to disable to get it working properly.  Latest issue is an 8-second lag in bringing down the layer dropdown.  Keyboard input is seconds behind, every other command has a second or so lag that when multiplied a few hundred times a day drives you absolutely mad.

I am so tired of spending thousand of dollars a year on subscription for software that just continually gets worse.  Time to throw this code in the garbage and build a ground up solution like Revit instead of this frankenstein version of AutoCAD.  I'm over it.  No matter how fast PC's get over time, Civil 3D manages to outpace it so that performance gets worse.  This is a failed experiment.

Message 12 of 38
john.larmor

Tried all of the above as well.

This problem is absolutely ridiculous; I'm fully upgraded to 2019 LT (because I have no choice but to resubscribe) and still the same issue. 

I occasionally do work for my old employer who has 2014 or 2015, not sure which. The program runs faster for me because it doesn't hang with the input problem.

Any one adept at AutoCAD knows that the keyboard shortcuts are the way to become "quick and nimble" with the program. 

Now, (3) upgrades in (from 2017 to 2019), still the same issue. The program works slower for me than an old version on a crappier machine.

FIX THIS ALREADY!

Message 13 of 38
ethomas
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I have the same problem, and my settings are exactly as described (can't stand dynamic input, anyway).  ACAD still can't keep up with keystrokes.  I have been using ACAD for over 30 years, so I have hundreds of commands memorized and don't need to hunt around for buttons or to wait for command line to tell me my next move, so keyboard input is my primary way of drawing.

Message 14 of 38
john.larmor
in reply to: ethomas

I kept on this today, and this actually helped me:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-forum/autocad-lt-running-slow-is-it-my-computer-spec/m-p/6...

Never thought it would've come down to graphics card / compatibility but I think it's worth a try. Seemed to make the difference for me. That little window fading and graphic tweaks (halo effect on selections, etc.), all gone, CAD runs snappier:

Message 15 of 38

I altered my grafic card settings also, resulting in unclear lines after layiso command.

Yesterday I was once again hindered severly by the 'command in other drawing' feature and contacted autodesk about it. I hope they will seriously look into it and fix it instead of inventing more stuff we don't need.

Message 16 of 38
rjcpdx

This is the solution. Cripple the GD software.

INPUTSEARCHOPTIONS turn it off.

Message 17 of 38
rjcpdx

This is the solution. Cripple the GD software.

INPUTSEARCHOPTIONS  turn it off.

Message 18 of 38
Steven.Cochrane
in reply to: rkmcswain

INPUTSEARCHDELAY fixes it for me!

Message 19 of 38

Docking the command line sorted the delay out for me, along with setting dynmode = 0.

Message 20 of 38
adamlLC4C9

The solution to this is _.inputsearchdelay . This will fix exactly what you are looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost