Did you mean: 

Installing font into AutoCAD

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
hollandarc
25288 Views, 5 Replies

Installing font into AutoCAD

How do I add an .shx file to AutoCAD 2017?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Patchy
in reply to: hollandarc

use :

(findfile "fonts")

then hit Enter, that is where you put your .shx in

Message 3 of 6
john.vellek

HI @hollandarc,

The folder containing your existing SHX font files is included in your Support File Search Path which you can look at in OPTIONS.

Capture.PNG

You can add your new SHX to that location or you can put it in your own custom folder and add that folder to the Support File Search Path as well.  This can be handy to keep your personal and custom stuff out of the "factory" folders.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 6
dbroad

If the font is one that you purchased, keep it in a folder with your other private stuff that is also added to the options support files instead of adding font files to the folder that Autodesk uses for the fonts that it supplies.  You should also be aware that AutoCAD also scans the system fonts directory for supported fonts.  As long as a folder is on the support files list, AutoCAD will find the fonts.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 6
hollandarc
in reply to: dbroad

I found the file, went to Security, and allowed the write to option. It
then allowed me to drop the shx file in there and the dwg file I had created
from and AutoCAD lt program then looked right. Was I not supposed to do
that?
Message 6 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @hollandarc,

It is always a good idea to keep your custom files separate from your application files in case anything gets corrupted or damaged. This can speed recovery.

Are you a local administrator on your workstation? I suggest this is a good thing as it can prevent permissions problems that frequently arise when using AutoCAD.

It is also a good idea to turn off UAC (User Account Control).

Are you on Windows 10 Per chance? Some users have reported problems installing fonts and other things without being in the God-mode (Super Admin permissions).

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost