I cannot access each layer individually after attaching a DWG file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
368 Views, 5 Replies

I cannot access each layer individually after attaching a DWG file

HI, 

Whenever I attach any dwg file in autocad 2018, each layer is stuck with other layers when selected. Could someone help me with issue.  When I try to select a portion of the object in the drawing, it selects everything. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

"attached" means it remains whole and intact, and not accessed inside the top file: that is by design.

Do you need to EXPLODE the file first to release it's content? Did you ask your teacher for help/guidance?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

thanks for the reply, 

How should I explode the site plan in order to release its contents? 

Message 4 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

If the drawing of the building is attached as an external reference, you can use refedit to work in that file without exploding it.  If it is not critical to keep it an XREF, you can use the XREF Bind option to insert the drawing as a block. Then you can use the EXPLODE command to work on all the geometry.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank you very much for your reply, 

Your answer was very helpful. 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hello, 

I am looking for electrical wiring symbols tool palette (International version) for AutoCAD 2018.  If anybody has them, kindly attach the requested file. I will try to add them to design center. 

Thanks

Regards,

Sayed 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report