Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD - How to turn off file tab hover preview?

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
NoahPHZY6
76339 Views, 42 Replies

AutoCAD - How to turn off file tab hover preview?

Hello, I don't know what it's called. But every now and then I'll slowly move my mouse up to the ribbon thinking of where the next tool I need. And when my mouse hovers over the file tab, it'll show a preview of that file's layouts & model space. When I go back to my model space, now it switches me into that files layout and freezes everything up b/c it loaded into that space up. And now I have to work my way back to my model space and remember what I was working on. It happens quite freaquntly and very annoying.

Please is there a way to turn off this horrible feature? When I have a lot of files open with 3D objects and views, this really stalls things up a lot.

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
rkmcswain
in reply to: NoahPHZY6

Set FILETABTHUMBHOVER to 0.

Does this help?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 43
RobDraw

NoahPHZY6 wrote: 

Please is there a way to turn off this horrible feature?

A lot of people find this feature quite useful, myself included.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 43
NoahPHZY6
in reply to: rkmcswain

FILETABTHUMBHOVER=0.... that stops the screen from loading the space. This helps with lagg. But the drop down small previews still shows up. I guess I can get used to this way. Is there a way to turn off the drop down preview too?

I can understand this is a useful feature for some people. But it drives me nuts. It probably wouldn't be so bad if I had more RAM.

If you post the command for FILETABTHUMBHOVER and the other command for the drop down previews, I'll mark that post it as solution.

Message 5 of 43
GrantsPirate

FILETABPREVIEW would be the one, I believe.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 6 of 43
elshawadfy
in reply to: GrantsPirate

FILETABPREVIEW : setting it to 0 prevents showing the 'thumbnails' when passing over the file tabs..

While:

FILETABTHUMBHOVER: controls what happens next, when you hover one of the thumbnails.. Disabling it prevents loading the modelspace or layoout you hovered over.. 

Message 7 of 43
nlewis1771
in reply to: elshawadfy

Ah yes. Thanks! I'm sure someone finds this feature helpful but I'm not sure why, I don't need to be reminded what my sheets look like before I select them. Maybe if you have a ton of sheets and can't remember which is which. Only causes me headaches in Civil3d as the program stalls out for several seconds when it tries to preview and is often inadvertently triggered.

@elshawadfywrote:

FILETABPREVIEW : setting it to 0 prevents showing the 'thumbnails' when passing over the file tabs..

While:

FILETABTHUMBHOVER: controls what happens next, when you hover one of the thumbnails.. Disabling it prevents loading the modelspace or layoout you hovered over.. 

Message 8 of 43
cldehart
in reply to: RobDraw

Alot of people enjoy eating bugs, you may find them horrible. 

@RobDraw wrote:

NoahPHZY6 wrote: 

Telling you others like to eat them does not make them any better for you.  

Message 9 of 43
RobDraw
in reply to: cldehart

LOL, I was trying say that they aren't so horrible to some people.

Rob

Message 10 of 43

I have a dwg that has 22 sheets in it and when I save, I get the message below.  I've disabled any kind of preview that I can find and it still takes about 2 minutes for the file to save.  There is nothing too heavy in the dwgs, but there are 20+ sheets.  What is causing this?

Message 11 of 43
philip.barcy
in reply to: nlewis1771

That's brilliant! As it irritated me everytime I moved the cursors and changed drawings! So annoying!

Thanks 

@nlewis1771 wrote:

Ah yes. Thanks! I'm sure someone finds this feature helpful but I'm not sure why, I don't need to be reminded what my sheets look like before I select them. Maybe if you have a ton of sheets and can't remember which is which. Only causes me headaches in Civil3d as the program stalls out for several seconds when it tries to preview and is often inadvertently triggered.

@elshawadfywrote:

While:

@nlewis1771 wrote:

@elshawadfywrote:

While:

Message 12 of 43
kerriL3F5N
in reply to: philip.barcy

These settings do not work with C3D 2016, SP4....

Message 13 of 43
btrahan1
in reply to: kerriL3F5N

@kerriL3F5N wrote:

These settings do not work with C3D 2016, SP4....

Should work after restarting C3D.  After restarting C3D, I now get a drop down list of the tabs instead of a preview.  Most importantly, C3D doesn't freak out and teleport me into another drawing when I accidentally hover over the tab for a split second when en route to the ribbon.

Message 14 of 43
wschilling

Is there anything like this for the model & layout tabs?

Message 15 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: wschilling

@wschilling wrote:

Is there anything like this for the model & layout tabs?

Not yet. But here's something you may want to try:
In your template drawing set the system variable (drawing variable) UPDATETHUMBNAIL to 0 and save it. Whenever you create a new drawing the thumbnails won't update and will show a triangle on grid paper for any new tabs you create.

Message 16 of 43

thanks for posting this, its been annoying me for weeks.

Logged in just to give it a thumbs up.

This should be a feature that comes turned off by default in my opinion.

Message 17 of 43

This does not work in AutoCAD 2019 as FILETABPREVIEW is now Read-Only and set to 1. At least on my computer.

Message 18 of 43
arboleda13arnel
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw wrote:

NoahPHZY6 wrote: 

Stop defending horrible features. You're being annoying just like them. You haven't even answered the question. And it is NOT USEFUL, see my screenshot to see what I mean. Thanks elshawadfy for the answer.

FILETABTHUMBHOVER=1.png

Message 19 of 43
RobDraw
in reply to: arboleda13arnel

One person's horrible feature is another's valuable assistant. Not everyone lives in your little box.

Rob

Message 20 of 43
dturner5VYFA

Finally! This may be a great feature, but it's too sensitive. Every time I switch drawing tabs to reference another, the view changes to a different one, and causes the system to delay to boot. This should be added to the Options menu under View or User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost