Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show hidden lines using a hidden linetype?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
wai1954
3400 Views, 10 Replies

How to show hidden lines using a hidden linetype?

G'day,

As in the subject, I need to show hidden lines using a hidden linetype.

I have a 3D model of a pipe spool that I need to get fabricated and need to prepare a workshop drawing.

In the past, (well with AutoCAD 2006) it was easy. Enter HLSETTINGS and simply enter the colour I wanted for them and the linetype to display (if I wanted them to display). With AutoCAD 2016, I now get the Visual Styles palette, and a whole lot of visual styles with little in the way of a clue as to which one to use for what I want.

So, which one do I change (or create a new one)?

I tried creating a new visual style, but could not find anywhere to save the style, but even there, it showed a shaded model. I do not want a shaded model. This is the old style workshop drawing that is needed. I do not want to have to draw things up again for the workshop drawing as this is only going to introduce something where errors creep in.

With 2006, I created around 100 such pipe spool drawings on a contract with hidden lines automatically showing as a hidden linetype, so I know it can be done.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
imadHabash
in reply to: wai1954

Hi,

>> but could not find anywhere to save the style, << 

VSSAVE command will help.

>> lot of visual styles with little in the way of a clue as to <<

i suggest to follow these two links that it could help Link1 or Link2.

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I need to show hidden lines using a hidden linetype.

Do you need that in modelspace, while working on the object, or just for output (paperware).

In case it's just for output your model use the _VIEWBASE functionality (>>>details<<<) which saves you a lot of time, especially when you think about sections and details in your layout/plot!

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 11
wai1954
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Ok, I think I have nailed it.

After much fiddling, it turned out to be in the 2D Wireframe option (the first one).

The option for 2D Hide - Occluded Lines where the colour needed to be set as desired, and then the linetype as desired.

WHen I tried Viewbase, it would only give me a shaded view that was inserted in paperspace. I could not get it to change so was not sure if what it placed there was linked to the model. If the model was changed, I needed it to update the view as well as otherwise there would be problems on installation.

I had been through the two links provided, but they did not reveal much.

Much simpler to let users know that if they wanted to set what was set through HLSETTINGS previously, that what I discovered should be done.

Thanks for the tips.

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
Message 5 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> WHen I tried Viewbase, it would only give me a shaded view

Have you seen the options?

20170318_102510.png

>> I could not get it to change so was not sure if what it placed there was linked to the model.

>> If the model was changed, I needed it to update the view as well as otherwise

>> there would be problems on installation.

Do I understand you correct that you are not sure if these views are updated when you modify the geometry in modelspace?
If so ... yes it is, it is fully associative with the basic geometry. When I modify a 3D-Solid in modelspace and go back to the layout, it's regenerated and show the new representation within a second (or a bit more depending on the complexity of your object).

...including all dimensions you have created on that view-objects.

I'm wondering for the short time you have spent to that command, it has so many details and settings, that needs more than just one start 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 11
wai1954
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I understand that it is useful.

Not only do I need the hidden lines to be shown differently in a workshop drawing, but also in a perspective capture. Every view style I chose had issues, and when I used VIEWBASE, it kept giving me views that were shaded, no matter which one I chose.

The way things happen, something had to be done as a matter of urgency and I had to get the drawing out.

I saw the options and will be exploring it when I get some time.

Thanks again 🙂

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
Message 7 of 11
rculp

VIEWBASE only works for smaller less complex models so I avoid it.

In paperspace build the necessary viewports for viewing the model, set view directions as needed.  Set viewports to display "Legacy Hidden", the set OBSCUREDLTYPE = 4 and OBSCUREDCOLOR to something that plots thin. Annotate as required and plot.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 8 of 11
john.vellek

Hi @wai1954,

It sounds like you have resolved your issue with the hidden lines.

If you want to explore further the Viewbase command I am here to help. I have seen some extremely large models captured in projected views very quickly with this feature. 

I am not sure why you are only seeing shaded views but i can probably help you figure that out too.

I like to use Viewbase with some layouts and then conventional Viewports in others so I can take advantage of all the ways available to display the data.

I am currently working with AutoCAD 2018 and the Viewbase command is much more robust than  in previous versions.

Let me know if you want help on any of this. Otherwise, please take a moment to Accept a Solution (even if it is your own) if your problem is resolved.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 11
rculp
in reply to: john.vellek

I'd like to see those "extremely large models captured in projected views very quickly with this feature".  So far, on anything larger than a simple frame, all we've been able to create quickly is a little blue circle going round and round and round ....... and round and round .....

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 10 of 11
john.vellek
in reply to: rculp

HI Randall,

Unfortunately I can't share customer files but I have seen some very complex plant and piping drawing created in core AutoCAD that have utilized Viewbase to create the projected views.

Please trust me (and I don't sell product) but I was quite impressed at how the views were created once the initial "base" view was placed and then the projected views taken from it.

I know the team worked hard to make it even faster and easier in the 2018 release.

I suggest you take another look if you are curious.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 11 of 11
rculp
in reply to: john.vellek

We're stuck on 2015 feeding client requirements, so that's the only version I've used in production and I just don't have all day to wait on viewbase.  

This morning I tried creating  some viewbase views in 2017, and there's little difference in performance. And manipulating section depths through the model or controlling layer visibility in views is beyond cumbersome for the models we regularly create.  Viewbase may be fine for some, but it is less than helpful for the drawings we produce.  A tool like navisworks clipping planes (except viewport dependent) would be a MUCH better solution.  Never could understand the mindset of creating "other" views of the model when the model is right there, why not use it.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost