Did you mean: 

How to extract attribute coordinates from a drawing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3755 Views, 4 Replies

How to extract attribute coordinates from a drawing

I need to extract the x,y,z coordinates of a nested attribute's insertion point in a block in a drawing.  Is there a way to do that?  Not the coordinates of the attribute in the block, but the coordinates of the attribute in a drawing where many instances of the block reside.  End result, for each block I want to extract the attribute value and the xyz coordinates of the attribute insertion point in the drawing. 

The Dataextraction wizard extracts attribute values, but not where the attributes are in the drawing.  Is there some other extraction technique that will achieve that? 

Thank you for any suggestions.

Erik

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
owen66
in reply to: Anonymous

gets a little intense, and will require some fancy footwork with Excel, but it should be do-able with DATAEXTRACTION. (or someone will write a routine for you)

so, the only thing i could think of would be if you modified the block definition. if you can do that, you should be able to draw a line (on a distinct/unique layer) from teh insertion point of the block to the insertion point of the attribute. 

that will give you the start and endpoint of the line. the startpoint would use the same XYZ positions of the block itself so you know which block you're dealing with. the endpoint of the line will be the same as the XYZ position of the "Attribute Definition" so now, with maybe some VLOOKUPS in Excel (and maybe some other stuff) you should be able to create associations from blocknames, to attribute prompts/tags/values and the resulting value of the actual attribute.

it's kind of an awkward statement, as the data dump is mixing heirarchies of objects (or completely destoying them rather 🙂 but data grooming is pretty common, so what're ya gonna do?)

i'd be curious to try it myself, but i'm heading home now 😉

"Aah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention...science has it all."
Message 3 of 5
Murph_Map

One way to do it is make a copy of the dwg. Then use the BURST command to convert the attributes into text in the new dwg and dataextraction of the text. Keep in mind the text and and excell file are not linked to the blocks in the orginal file so if you move the blocks you need to repeat to keep it updated. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 5
m_latz

I think you have to do some programming.

If I understand right you want to get the "absolute" coordinates from all blocks. Like reducing the nesting level of the blocks to 1 ?

And then extract the attrib values and the corresponding attrib insert points in "absolute coordinates" ?

regards

Markus

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

That's it.  Burst is the key to what I need to do.  Thank you for that nudge.

I have another extraction question which I'm going to post as a new topic.  

Thank you for your help.

Erik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost