Did you mean: 

How to create detail view

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
olivier.robert.2
2720 Views, 4 Replies

How to create detail view

I am trying to follow the instructions here to create a detailed view from an existing viewport in paper space: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/AutoC...

But I can't follow the steps. At step 2, AutoCAD should ask me which view I want to use as a parent view and an area to magnify, but instead it asks me for an insertion point, then to select objects. After these 2 steps, nothing happens. I don't understand. I am in papier view in AutoCAD 2020.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Those instructions are for a drawing where a 3D solid model has been done in model space and at least one view has been placed with the VIEWBASE command.   Otherwise, for a detail simply create another viewport in PS, scale it accordingly.  Let us know which way you are working and further instruction can be given.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 5
Rbax2014
in reply to: olivier.robert.2

first copy what you want to detail to another area away from the original object.  go into paper space, create a view, use ctrl r to toggle your view ports. Zoom to what you copied and zoom up close, if you want 1 to 1, initiate the zoom command and type 1xp.  this will set the view port to scale 1=1, if you want 1=8 scale detail initiate zoom and type .125xp this will set your view to 1=8.  the trick is copying what you want to detail away from your original.

key command using view ports is the times paper space that is 1/8xp or what ever scale you want.

hope this did not confuse you, but it a good way to make details and dimensions not overlapping is same view.  us a spline to make the break in you detail if you want.

Message 4 of 5
GrantsPirate
in reply to: Rbax2014

Rbax2014,

Why copy a portion of the drawing to create the detail?  Simply create a new viewport in PS and scale and adjust the viewport accordingly.  If something changes you only need to change it in one location.   Placing dimensions in PS avoids seeing them in the viewport, or place dims in MS and freeze that layer in the detail VP.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 5
Rbax2014
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Sorry I was not clear.  This is just one way to make a detail utilizing paper space there are many ways to accomplish this.

Robert

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost