Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert 3D AutoCAD file to Solidworks file?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
noli1057
60895 Views, 13 Replies

How to convert 3D AutoCAD file to Solidworks file?

To the expert here! How do you guys convert a 3D AutoCAD file into a Solidworks File? Our Customer are requiring this as they want a Solidworks file to be sent to them. Thanks you for any immediate response to this.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rkmcswain
in reply to: noli1057

Take a look at this, then hang around for some more replies as things may have changed in the last couple of years.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?56625-AutoCAD-3D-to-Solidworks

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 14
skintsubby

noli 1057

In Solidworks just select File -- >"open" then  change the format  (bottom right to .dwg)

Select your file.

The next dialogue box gives you the option to "import to a new part as".... select "3D curves or model"

You have to save the drawing as a release 2010 format though.

Mark

Message 4 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: skintsubby

@skintsubby wrote:

noli 1057

In Solidworks just select File --

Of course they would have to have SolidWorks.  (That is, the source, the OP, from the problem statement the customer already has SolidWorks and apparently is requiring *.sld* file format.)

From the problem description, "Our Customer are requiring..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
skintsubby
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course they would have to have SolidWorks.  (That is, the source, the OP, from the problem statement the customer already has SolidWorks and apparently is requiring *.sld* file format.)

From the problem description, "Our Customer are requiring..."

Fair Point JD... I miss read the OP

Mark

Message 6 of 14
CAD_Craig

If you save the file as an .iges file or an .sat file the customer should be able to open it with solidworks. Heck even if you send them a .dwg file they should be able to open it themselves with solidworks.
Message 7 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: CAD_Craig

@CAD_Craig wrote:
....the customer should be able to

The customer has required SolidWorks format files according to the problem statement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 14
noli1057

Thanks, and JD Mather is correct. We don't have Solidworks Software and the Costumer are requiring our 3D Model (from AutoCAD2014) to be in Solidworks format so they can view or manipulate that. Anyway, my question now is... how do you convert that into Solidworks format so I can send that to them? Is that the Export command? With this conversion, can they would be a able to manipulate or edit the file? I tried to insist them to import our CAD file with their Solidworks which is easier (I think), but this is what they want. See PDF attachment.

Message 9 of 14
JDMather

I think there is a lot more to this question than you (or your customer) are presenting here.

It it trivially easy to open an AutoCAD dwg in SolidWorks (or a variety of other proprietary or neutral format files that both AutoCAD and SolidWorks can read/write).

But if the end user (the customer) doesn't really know how to use their software (in my experience about 90% for any CAD program) they are reluctant to take one step beyond their experience level.  To minimize frustration (and mistakes) they make narrow specifications to what they can work with.

And

it is my guess is that they want a full SolidWorks "feature tree" for editing the model as that is what they are accustomed to working with.  You cannot go from one program to another preserving proprietary feature trees.  Now they could translate (probably most if not all) features from that model, but again, my guess is that they do not know how.

I recommend that you hire a consultant with AutoCAD and SolidWorks knowledge to work with this customer, or spend a few months learning what needs to be learned, or turn down the work.

The first thing the consultant will ask the customer is if they need a feature tree.

Next question - is this only 3D parts and assemblies or are 2D drawings part of the contract.

You will need SolidWorks to convert AutoCAD or any other CAD to SolidWorks files.  AutoCAD will read SolidWorks files, but will not write them.

Message 10 of 14
dgorsman

Thats my thinking as well.  If the contract specifies a Solidworks file and nothing but, they may be expecting the whole intelligent shebang, not a dumb solid.

For the OP: its vitally important to determine up front what is expected for the deliverables, even more so when dealing with intelligent software like Solidworks.  By disucssing this with all concerned parties there will (or should...) be no confusion as to what is to be delivered and what the client will end up with.  It also keeps the executives and lawyers away when it comes time to certify the contract has been completed.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 14
JDMather

Here is an interesting thread concerning going from SolidWorks (later version) to SolidWorks (earlier version).

As you can see - with parametric modelers the feature tree is very important to the user (especially if they don't really know how to use the software).  Did you catch that?  Not even changing programs.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/75568?tstart=0

Message 12 of 14
noli1057
in reply to: dgorsman

I opened-up this issue to the PM assigned to this Fabrication Project while waiting for any response or suggestion you guys may have. These were not part of agreement but a formal request from the Customer since they don't have or not using AutoCAD software. Now, they agreed to send them the 3D CAD, 2D CAD Details and the IGES export file for viewing.

There's an aftermath since we discussing this issue in the office and showing up some of your comments. We are now planning to have a Mechanical 3D Software (either Solidworks or Inventor) for fabrication purposes and learn how to use it. And,.. we're back to school again.!!!

Anyway, Thank you so much again, your comments are very helpful.

Message 13 of 14
abuteffera

how to change 2D and 3D Autocad fiel to use in solidwork

Message 14 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: abuteffera

@abuteffera wrote:

how to change 2D and 3D Autocad fiel to use in solidwork

Can you attach your 2D and 3D AutoCAD file(s) here?

See post #9 -
"I recommend that you hire a consultant with AutoCAD and SolidWorks knowledge to work with this customer, or spend a few months learning what needs to be learned, or turn down the work.

The first thing the consultant will ask the customer is if they need a feature tree.

Next question - is this only 3D parts and assemblies or are 2D drawings part of the contract."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost