Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change spacing of points along a line?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1591 Views, 5 Replies

How to change spacing of points along a line?

First, I've never used Autocad before and don't know what I'm doing. I have an assignment to modify a design that includes some rows of points. I need to change the spacing from 6ft to 4ft, but keep the length the same, though I may need to edit the shape of the lines of points some too. How can I do that?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Does the person that tasked you know this? is this a test? Are they expecting you to do it all alone without asking them? I'm just curious about it.

Post your DWG file, let's all look at what you are looking at.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

They're arrays of wellpoints for a construction dewatering. No one in the office knows how to edit a DWG, so I've been asked to try to figure it out. The boss will find someone to do it I think. I've about given up. I'm pretty good with GIS, so not unreasonable to think maybe I could figure it out but it's not going well. 

I tried to learn how to make a line and how to put points on it. I think I got a spline to connect one row of wells, and thought maybe I can delete the existing points and make new ones with the new spacing, but I can't make that happen.  All the advice I found for that starts with: 

1. Select settings and create styles, layers, point groups, and description keys.  

I have no idea what that means.

Step two is:

2. Home tab Create Ground Data panel Points menu Create Points - Miscellaneous Divide Object .

I can't find any "create ground data" panel, or any menus down the chain.

I did find a function in the draw menu called "measure" that claims to put points at set distances along a line or arc, but I can't get it to work. I tried to use a random line I drew in a blank document. The first thing "measure" says is to select the line, and I can't seem to manage even that. Neither clicking on the line nor lassoing it seems to advance me to a useful place.

I thought maybe I need to make a new layer to populate with the points, but can't get that to work.

just totally lost.

Michael

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

exactly which of the several dozen lines are you trying to use as a basis for points??coffer.PNG

Message 5 of 6
EricStiles

If you have one continuous polyline, try the Measure command.  It will place a point or a block along the line at a specified distance.  Also a point will be one pixel on your screen unless you change the point symbol using the PDMODE command and setting it to something like 35.   So try typing:

PDMODE 35

MEASURE

pick your line

type in distance of 4

you should see a bunch of circles with and x through them spaced 4ft along your line.  Assuming your units are set to feet and not inches.  Also if you would have rather inserted a block then you would have to set that when it asks for the distance.  Read the command line, you will see what I mean.

Message 6 of 6
Darin.Green

@Anonymous

For starters, you're using Civil 3D not AutoCAD. The geometry inside the file however, is not civil 3d objects... Which mean someone either exported the civil model to AutoCAD or they modeled it in another application and produced a dwg file.

Either way the solution is to use the divide tool as @EricStiles pointed out, or use ArrayPath (in video below). I've created a video of the process for you for future reference as well as updated the attached file.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report