how to attach a printing pattern dwg file to a block model

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
350 Views, 9 Replies

how to attach a printing pattern dwg file to a block model

Hi everyone, 

I have a solid model file of a block with a rounded edge. Then i have 1 dxf file with printing patterns on them. i AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE A SOLID MODEL FILE THAT HAS THIS PRINTING PATTERN ON THE solid block. see the attachment . Are there any way I can do it?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

It looks like you want one face of the object to be black and then the filleted portion to be a pattern. Can you attach your files and I can give this a go?

I believe that if you keep the filleted object separate from the "cube" then you can attach the pattern as a material.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 10
leeminardi

I am not sure of what you want the final result to look like.  Is it something like this (I have made the flared portion magenta to highlight it).

Strip2-block.JPG

Is it necessary that the geometry remain as a solid?

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or @leeminardi's helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

If you would like to attach your files I can take a harder look at this if @leeminardi solution doesnt match what you are looking for.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: leeminardi

Yes, something like that. How would you do that?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I have attached the 3 D model and the strip, I need find a way to attach them. 

Message 7 of 10
leeminardi

I would convert the strip pattern to an image format then create a material from the image.  For the sample I posted I rotated a planar map so that it was parallel to the front of the box.

The stp file you posted did not successfully import to AutoCAD.  Can you post a .dwg file of the object?  I can convert the dxf file to a jpg and give you the results.

How will the end result be used?  Is a pictorial image of the result all that is needed or something else?

~Lee

lee.minardi
Message 8 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am not sure if this is what you were looking for or not.  I took the Strip pattern and scaled it to the height of the cube.I copied the cube and then exploded the copy. I erased all but the front and the fillet. I used CONVTOSURFACE to convert the rectangular region to a surface and then I used Union to join it to the fillet. I then rotated my view so I was looking at the "flat" front of the cube with the strip centered on the face. I then used projectgeometry to get the linework on to the surface. Once I was happy with that I moved the projected linework to the cube.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John, i see that some of the strip patterns were missing when you were doing your adjustments? attach powerpoint is what i want to see as final result . I also imported the block stp file and saved as an dwg file. see attachment. 

Thanks for all the help!

Message 10 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you try the steps I gave you on your own? It is the best way to learn - by doing - 🙂

So again, I want to start by scaling the strip portion fits the fillet area. I do this with the SCALE command.

I then move the Pins to the flat part of the "cube".

Next I rotate the rest of the strip to be oriented vertically.

Lastly, I use project the geometry onto the "cube".

I am still not sure about the way you want the exact geometry to be projected as your fan is not square on the bottom as you show in your PowerPoint. But, the steps should be the same. Please give this a try and let me know if you get stuck at some point.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost