How to add text with area to each polyline

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
36343 Views, 11 Replies

How to add text with area to each polyline

Hi, 

I was wondering, if there is a tool of some kind, that would create a text field with field inside linked to each polygon, inside all of selected polylines. The field sould be saying the area of the field. 

If anyone can help, that would be very nice. 

Thank you very much. 

Lukas

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Forums

Yes. NOTE You can only do this on one polyline at a time

1. Either click on INSERT then FIELD or type FIELD at the command line.

2. The dialog box that pops up where it says FIELD CATEGORY change it to OBJECTS

3. In FIELD NAMES, choose OBJECT.

4. Where it says OBJECT TYPE to the right of that is an icon (arrow, circle and square). Click it

5. Choose ONE of the polylines.

6. You will see it has already highlighted area in PROPERTIES. You can change the FORMAT and PRECISION to what you want.

7. Click on OK and place the text where you want. Don't forget to change the text height to what you want as well

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Thank you Hwalker, thiw I know. I wanted to do that automatically for all selected polylines. Is there a way for that? 

Message 4 of 12
hwalker

Unless someone writes a lisp for it, each one has to be done individually

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Thank you than.
Message 6 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> thiw I know. I wanted to do that automatically for all selected polylines

Do you have plain AutoCAD or a vertical like AutoCAD Map 3D or AutoCAD Civil 3D? Because these verticals could be helpful for that.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi, I have only the architecture one ... 

Message 8 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have only the architecture one

I don't have (and I don't know) AutoCAD Architecture, but from what I've seen about that product: what about converting closed polylines to rooms and use the room-label functionality which is quite flexible in that product?

Just as an idea, HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 12
Patchy

Select all will give total area, select each one for area label.

There isn't one better that I know.

http://www.lee-mac.com/areastofield.html

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

The FIELD command can be used to insert the area value of a closed boundary. The inserted value will be associated with the boundary.  (That is, if you increase or decrease the area of the boundary by stretching or scaling, the inserted field area value will also change.)

To insert an associated area for a closed boundary, follow these steps:

1. Use the PLINE command to create the closed boundary.
  2. On the command line, enter field.
  3. In the Field dialog box, in the field category drop-down list, select Objects.
  4. In the Field names selection box, select Object.
  5. Click the Select Object button, then select the boundary (pline). The object type box will now display the word "Polyline."
  6. In the Property selection box, select Area and click OK. Specify the insertion point.

Now you can stretch the boundary by using the STRETCH command or by using grips. On the command line, enter regen and the field will automatically change the area value according to the current area of the boundary.

Message 11 of 12
TerryDotson

If you were to consider third party add-ons, DotSoft's ToolPac will let you easily add multiple fields to a selection set of objects.  For example in the dialog below, it can add multiple fields (in a single mtext object) in this case square feet and acres.

AnnFldAdd.png

Message 12 of 12
VTC_Solutions
in reply to: TerryDotson

@Anonymous the app QuickAreas automatically labels multiple polylines. You just need to select all the polylines whose area you need to label. YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdZtMJFJoGE

You can download a demo in this link

https://www.vantecsolutions.com/product/quickareas/

You can buy the app from the Vantec Solutions store or from the Autodesk App https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=3655938364871822741&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report