Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I plot to PDF with only the layout name (without the file name)

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
28068 Views, 14 Replies

How do I plot to PDF with only the layout name (without the file name)

How do I plot to PDF and set the default name to the Layout name only, i.e. without the file name in front?

Most of the post I read on this subject are asking to use only the file name, without the Layout name but I want the opposite. 

I publish several drawings each from each model each drawing has it's own drawing number.  The drawing number and file name must match and renaming potentially hundreds of files (sometimes thousands) is time consuming (as all of you know). 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

There is nothing built-in to do that on the fly: but using SSM (SheetSetManager) to name the layout "sheets" and PUBLISH from there will go a long way to getting you what you want. But it does require a lot of preplanning.

You can do the same with PUBLISH command by manually editing each layout name and saving your publish list for future use/repeat, but that's a harder method.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Sounds like what I am doing now but that puts the file name in front of the layout name. I want to use only the layout name; without the file name in front.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

This email and its attachments may contain information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer and IT systems. You must not copy, re-transmit, use or disclose (other than to the sender) the existence or contents of this e-mail or its attachments or permit anyone else to do so.
Message 4 of 15
pendean

I can't reproduce the problem, see screenshot, those are the names of the layouts and the names of the PDF I got afterwards. No file name in sight.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

I looked harder at your solution and have the following to report. 
    Using Sheet Set Manager, there is an 'Import Options...' button in the Choose Layouts step.  One of the options is to, "Prefix sheet titles with file name" so, naturally, I unselected this since that is exactly what I am trying to exclude.
    I selected my files and options (anyone reading this should be aware that you have to set your publish options again here.  The options you set using Publish do carry over). 
    I saved and went to the Publish button.  From here, there are several options (DWF, PDF, etc.) but I did not see an option for using the named Page setup that I have defined in each drawing.  I like to define and name a Page setup for each layout so I know it will print correctly and to scale.  Anyway, I selected Publish to PDF and it plotted correctly except that it put a number in front of each file name (the number was the sheet order within the sheet set).  So, I still would have had to rename the files.
    I am new to using Sheet Sets so maybe there is something else I could have done but I found a better solution using the publish command. 

When using the publish command
    1st try - I did not realize I could change the name of the output here.  The field is titled, "Sheet Name" and is telling the publisher which layout to print.  I would have thought if this was a name that did not exist in the drawing, it would produce an error but I was completely wrong.  It does output a PDF with the layout name only (or any other name I specify).  However, this is not much different than changing the name of the file afterward but, still, a step in the right direction. 
    2nd try (and my preferred solution) - Execute the Publish command.  Select 'Add Sheets'; now in the Select Drawings dialog box, un-select the 'Prefix sheet title with file name...' option.  From the 'Include' pick list, select 'Layout' only.  Now select 'Publish' and the output files will have only the layout name; no renaming anything.  Also, this sheet list (*.dsd file) can be saved and the settings will all be retained. 

Thanks for making me try harder. 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Ooh man !! I love you !! ^_^ THANKS
Message 7 of 15
Sujan.Maharjan

Hi, 

How do I etransmit file name as Sheet title names from sheet set manager?

"Revit Lies in the tension between what we want to do and what can be done!"
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

perfect! thank you.

Message 9 of 15
stig.werelius

I want the old way (before 2015) where the page numbers were simply 1,2,3...

Message 10 of 15
maratovich
in reply to: stig.werelius

The old way is impossible.
You need to change the PDF file after printing.
You can rename the pages as you need, there are additional programs for this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Software development
Automatic creation layouts and viewport. Batch printing drawings from model.
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 11 of 15
stig.werelius
in reply to: maratovich

Yeah, that’s what I do now. If you uncheck the “prefix” box and you have two tabs with the same name (like “layout1”) , it prompts for a new name. I just let it add the file name and number the .pdf after. I would rather not, but it is what it is
Message 12 of 15

BlueBeam has a lot of nice features
Message 13 of 15
enes-builder

Hello,

At your very last step you changed the "include" to "layout" only and your saying the numbers wont show up in front of each page anymore ? Mine seems to still show up when I finally publish.

Please help!!!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: enes-builder

It is at the beginning of the solution.

2nd try (and my preferred solution) - Execute the Publish command.  Select 'Add Sheets'; now in the Select Drawings dialog box, un-select the 'Prefix sheet title with file name...' option.

Regards, 

Steve

Message 15 of 15
enes-builder

Hello,

Yes I went through the whole 2nd option and even checked off the 'Prefix sheet title with file name' option and it removed the name of the file it self from the page names however now it is putting a number in front of the page name like this [1] .

Thanks,

Enes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta