Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch Contextual Tab Options

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CurtisClarkCA
467 Views, 7 Replies

Hatch Contextual Tab Options

I do a fair bit of hatching individual areas on my site plans. Asphalt driveways, etc. I know some of the basic tricks to keep memory down like selecting closed polylines as a boundary, center origin, etc.

I like the options offered in the contextual ribbon tab that pops up, and use them often.

The problem is the time the computer takes to open and close the tab, every time I want to initiate a hatch command (or select one for a quick edit).

think what I'd like to try is to just have the contextual tab stay open/docked with the regular ribbon tabs. My theory being that keeping it open won't be such a drag on system resources (or my time), by skipping the steps of launching and then closing the tool pallettes in the tab, between hatch commands.

I'm open to suggested alternatives, too. Been too many years putting up with it this way.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ВeekeeCZ
in reply to: CurtisClarkCA

Well, I feel your pain. I turned it off altogether for that reason.

But I like your idea and it might work... why not. The only issue is, that there are actually 2 different hatch contextual ribbons. One is for creation, and the second is for edits. So it might need some thinking if you decide to merge them together.

Message 3 of 8
apjones

I have not tried this, but if you are familiar with the cuix editor, you might be able to change it from contextual to a "static" tab.

Pete

>Please Accept as Solution and give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 8
CurtisClarkCA
in reply to: apjones

This is very similar to what I was thinking. Alas, I am not familiar with the CUI.

I read something that said related edits could be made (like turning it off altogether) in the CUI, so I tried launcing the command and poking around a bit. I wasn't able to find the hatch tab I was looking for, and what I did see made me feel like I would be too uncomfortable with experimenting my way through it. I also read somewhere that you shouldn't mess around with the CUI unless you know what you are doing, which just reinforced my thought to just leave it alone.

Nevertheless, if someone had specific instructions on how to make this happen, I'd probably give it a shot. I think what you suggested is exactly what I want to try.

Message 5 of 8
CurtisClarkCA
in reply to: ВeekeeCZ

Oof, you're right. Despite them looking identical, one seems to be called Hatch Creation, and the other one is called Hatch Editor.

Maybe I need to make a custom ribbon tab (always open) that includes all the toolbars within one of those tabs. Then just disable the contextual ribbon tab open when hatch and gradient objects are selected.

Maybe getting closer to a solution.

Still leery of that CUI though... and hoping someone will be able to just tell me "go here, do this." Lol

Message 6 of 8
ВeekeeCZ

Have you tried to set it just "Not Focus"?

That removes the lag when selecting the hatch. But you'll have to switch tab manually. The crucial lag is when switching the ribbon. It doesn't make that much of a difference if the contextual tab is already (permanently) displayed or has to be displayed.

CUI

ACAD/Ribbon/Contextual Tab/Hatch Editor CT/Full without focus

BTW what ACAD/C3D version do you have?

Message 7 of 8
CurtisClarkCA
in reply to: ВeekeeCZ

@ВeekeeCZ, I'm intrigued by your answer. However, I wonder if my hardware performs differently from yours. I don't seem to get any lag at all from switching between ribbon tabs (its almost instant), including the hatch creation tab when it is already open (i.e. after I have launched the command). The lag only seems to occur before the contextual tab has fully appearered on the ribbon (about 1 full second with open, and again with close).

That said, can I safely try your solution and then switch back if it doesn't work?

I glanced at the CUI looking where you said to look, but run into a snag in the Contextual Tab States drop down. I can't find "Hatch Editor CT" or even "Hatch Editor". I found "Hatch creation" (which I imagine is actually the one I'm looking to change), but its just a blue-ish icon, and nothing really comes up for options when I click on it. You can probably tell I'm not familiar with the CUI.

Here is how far I get in the CUI:

CIVIL/Ribbon/Contextual Tab States/Hatch creation...?

I'm using Civil 3D 2022, which is likely part of the reason our paths appear different. 

Message 8 of 8
ВeekeeCZ

It's CIVIL/Ribbon/Contextual Tab States/Hatch selected/Hatch editor CT... 

And yes, it is reversible easily, unless you remove it, as I did.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report