Did you mean: 

Grey out xrefs in plotting

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
86808 Views, 21 Replies

Grey out xrefs in plotting

I am trying to grey out the x-refs in my drawing. I believe that there is a fade control tool under options>display. This tool works for me, but only when I am viewing the drawing on the screen. When I print this drawing, the drawings prints in its usual thickness and is not grayed out. How can I print this drawing with xrefs grayed out? Can you please help me? Thank you.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

XREFFADECONTROL XDWGFADECTL does fade the referenced drawings and for me keeps it that way in my plotted PDF. Can you attach a sample file and XREF and also show me your plot settings?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

I will get back to you shortly. Thanks

RC
Message 4 of 22

Hi,

>> XREFFADECONTROL does fade the referenced drawings and for me keeps it that way in my plotted PDF.

I guess you mean XDWGFADECTL ... if so then sorry no, this is only for display and definitly not for plotting, this plots the XRef content in the same contrast as other geometry.

>> How can I print this drawing with xrefs grayed out?

You can use the layer manager, set the filter to XREF-layer and assign all layers a light grey color, so all geometry objects within the XRef will be displayed in the light grey ... as long as they were drawn with color = bylayer.

If the XRef holds objects with color <> bylayer then you can use sysvar XREFOVERRIDE (>>>details<<<) to override the none-bylayer settings (info: this sysvar exists since AutoCAD release 2016, sol older releases don't have the feature).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 22
RobDraw

There are a number of ways to accomplish this.

For example, if you are using a .ctb plot style, you could assign colors to the XREF layers that are set to plot with shading. This could give you control over individual layers within the XREF.

You could assign a transparency to the XREF and make sure you are plotting with transparencies. Layers/colors within the XREF will plot with their assigned widths but with a shading applied.

Personally, I would go with adjusting the XREF layers/colors to suit your pen settings for the best control.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 22

Alfred - You are absolutely right! Thanks for the correction.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 22
ahmed.abdelmotey

you could also change VISRETAIN variable value to 1 and then in layer manager give all layers of the xref the new grey color.. this won't affect the original file..
to get layers back to normal change VISRETAIN back to 0 and then reload xref.
Ahmed Abd-Elmotey
Landscape Architect & beginner lisp programmer
Message 8 of 22
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Despite my incorrect first post -my brain must have been on hold- there have been some good suggestions here in the thread.  In my experience, I like to attach the xref, override the color and set to a screened value.  This has proven quick and easy.

If you have had your question answered, please mark the solution or solutions as accepted that have resolved your issue.

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

So this is what I will do:
Set all layers in all xrefs to a light grey color.
Thank you very much for your help.
Raj C
Message 10 of 22
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:
So this is what I will do:
Set all layers in all xrefs to a light grey color.
Thank you very much for your help.
Raj C

Have you verified that your pen settings have the color set to plot with shading?

Rob

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

No, but I will check. Thanks, Raj.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

How can I set color in pen settings to plot with shading? A BIG THANKS to Everyone,for your help.

Message 13 of 22
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

This is quite easy to do!

Let's say you have set all your XREF layers to color 8. You can edit your CTB file ( I like to access it right from the plot dialog.

Capture.PNG

Scroll down the color list to see color 8 and then on the right side set a screen value.

Capture2.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 14 of 22
RobDraw

I find myself guilty of one of my pet peeves. Sorry for using the incorrect terminology. I should have said screening.

Rob

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

Thank you, John.

Raj

Message 16 of 22

Hi,

@serkancavuslar

I know you are proud for your application, but that does not have anything to do with the question "Grey out xrefs in plotting".

Please do not spam all threads having anything to do with plot or pdf with your app.

Thx, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 17 of 22
pascal

I assume the XREFFADECONTROL does not work in AutoCAD Lt?

Message 18 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: pascal

Hi,

>> I assume the XREFFADECONTROL does not work in AutoCAD Lt?

This command does not exist, not in AutoCAD, not in AutoCAD LT ... are you looking for XDWGFADECTL?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 19 of 22
pancarolinapa

Can you give me a little more detail about how to assign a transparency to the xref?  

Message 20 of 22
RobDraw
in reply to: pancarolinapa

I'd love to show you but I'm away from AutoCAD. I thought about doing a web search for it but figured that you already did that and didn't find anything that worked.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta