Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geolocation/ Geomap

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
412 Views, 4 Replies

Geolocation/ Geomap

Work with BING Maps to get more current aerial images. The aerial images are often 1 - 4 years behind Google and my superior then requires me to use the most current. Therefore, eliminating the benefit of the GREAT Geographiclocation feature that AutoDesk provides and requiring more work for some of us.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

welcome @Anonymous.autodesk.com!

>> The aerial images are often 1 - 4 years behind Google

This depends on the area, sometimes Google is newer, sometimes BingMaps.

In case of needing most current areal imaginary with higher accuracy it is always recommended to check for local ressources (depending on where your project area is).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred, Maybe the more appropriate question or suggestion would be...... is it possible for AutoDesk to work with multiple aerial image providers, such that an end-user would have the option to choose between several providers images, thereby offering the most current imagery available? With that scenario, the Geographiclocation feature would be the most functional for all users.
Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> is it possible for AutoDesk to work with multiple aerial image providers

I'm quite sure it would be possible, of course.

From my experience some years ago Autodesk had the Google interface implemented for Civil 3D and stopped it as Google changed their license agreements (and I guess wanted to have a lot of money from Autodesk to give the data to all their users) and changed to BingMaps.

For now I don't see a change to get that done from Autodesk, you may find some third party app's beeing able to import Google imaginary or you use Google Earth Pro (which seems to be free currently) to save your own bitmaps and then attach them to your current drawings.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
Pointdump

WFP,

"...is it possible for AutoDesk to work with multiple aerial image providers..."

This Forum is peer-to-peer, and even though Autodesk Employees sometimes respond, mostly what you'll find here is users just like yourself.

In addition to Alfred's always excellent advice, you can install the free ArcGIS for AutoCAD Plug-in. ESRI's imagery may or may not be more current, but at least you have a choice to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNwryH_Aa8

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report