Did you mean: 

Free AUTO-CAD for military

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
20940 Views, 19 Replies

Free AUTO-CAD for military

In an advertisement it mentioned that students and military could get auto-cad for free. I am retired Air Force and would like to get your software if possible. I used to use DRAFIX which I think was bought out by AUTODESK. I have an AUTODESK cd but it will not install on my computer.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

where did you see this ad that says Autodesk provides free software to the military?

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

AutoCAD student version

AutoCAD, for free?

Yea, you read that right. AutoCAD, the heavy hitter of the CAD industry, offers a free, fully functional, version for download to students, faculty, military veterans, and anyone who is unemployed that has previously worked in the AEC industry. The only limitation of the software is a watermark on any plots you generate designating that the file was created with a non-professional version.

This came from about.com in an article entitled top 5 free CAD packages.

Message 4 of 20
Discussion_Admin

@Anonymous wrote:

AutoCAD student version

AutoCAD, for free?

Yea, you read that right. AutoCAD, the heavy hitter of the CAD industry, offers a free, fully functional, version for download to students, faculty, military veterans, and anyone who is unemployed that has previously worked in the AEC industry. The only limitation of the software is a watermark on any plots you generate designating that the file was created with a non-professional version.

Some of this info may be out of date. I have escalated this to confirm current offerings

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 5 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> This came from about.com in an article entitled top 5 free CAD packages.

I found this post >>>here<<<, but never heard about the military veterans free license from Autodesk directly.

From your previous post:

>> The only limitation of the software is a watermark on any plots you generate

That info is about 3 years old, not any more valid for current licenses.

Sorry for that info's, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 20
pendean

Website and link? That's probably an old link since Autodesk no longer uses watermarks.
Message 7 of 20
philip.s

Welcome to the community @Anonymous.

I've just contacted the author of that about.com article and asked him to update per the following.

Who is Eligible to Join the Education Community?

Not sure how relevant this is to your situation, bit I also wanted to point out that we do provide free software access to non-profits and cleantech innovators

Hope that helps!

Message 8 of 20
jggerth
in reply to: philip.s

Thanks Phillip -- I did not know about non-profits being offered licenses.  That could be interesting for some of the envirnmental groups I'm involved with

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

@Discussion_Admin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AutoCAD student version

AutoCAD, for free?

Some of this info may be out of date. I have escalated this to confirm current offerings

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

That would be really cool!  I'm not a Vet, but I know of some that would benefit from an opportunity like this.  Autodesk would gain lots of good points if they got Vets some free software.  

Message 10 of 20
Patchy

If a vet got it free, how does he/she get the teaching from?

Vocational Technical School?

Then it still free if she/he is enrolled.

No difference

Message 11 of 20
wispoxy

I love the fact that after you spend 5-10 min filling out the information it brings you to a 404 page. Everything you filled out is then lost.
Message 12 of 20
steve216586

As a "vet", you can get a free, chopped up version of R14 from the Army Portal when you download Microsoft Project. (If you can still find it on that site) (Slickdeals, I think, may point you in the right direction)

Other than that, you would have to follow the guidlines already setforth by ADESK administrators and the other forum gurus.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 13 of 20
philip.s
in reply to: wispoxy

@wispoxy what form are you referring to / can you please provide a link?

Message 14 of 20
wispoxy

Let me fill out everything again, and I'll post the link in reply to you. Hold on.
Message 15 of 20
wispoxy

Guess filling it four times works. It was a branch off this link somewhere:
https://schools.autodesk.com/catalog/
Message 16 of 20
alias_noa
in reply to: Patchy

I'm a vet. I learned myself. I was making stuff to 3d print after a few days. Then as I worked on more complex designs, basically whenever I didn't know how to do something I googled it. Now I am making some pretty advanced stuff. People seem to be stuck in this mindset that they have to go to school to learn when we have all the world's information at our fingertips. Sadly they spend all their time watching funny videos or scrolling news feeds when you can teach yourself anything online. I spent 6 years pursuing a Computer Science degree while also working full time (this was VERY difficult) and learned FAR more online in 6 months after I got my degree and quit my job. If I could go back and start over, I never would have gone to college.

Sorry to go into so much detail, but I believe more people need to inherit this mindset and realize we are all capable of learning pretty much anything, and the information is all FREE online.
Message 17 of 20
Patchy
in reply to: alias_noa

Well back in 2015 is not the same for what you can get today (Youtube, and  hundreds more sites)

Message 18 of 20
RSomppi
in reply to: alias_noa

@alias_noa wrote:
Sorry to go into so much detail, but I believe more people need to inherit this mindset and realize we are all capable of learning pretty much anything, and the information is all FREE online.

Not everyone is that capable.

Message 19 of 20
Patchy
in reply to: RSomppi

He's a genius ☺

Message 20 of 20
SKwaidelich

Where can I find eligiblity for this and how do I sign up as I am a disablity Military veternan?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report