Font substitution occurring constantly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Buzz0m
1480 Views, 5 Replies

Font substitution occurring constantly

Hi,

I have inherited a drawing, that seems to have a fair amount of problems. Working with the drawing (it's actually a C3D drawing) is fairly slow and "sticky". Anyway, I noticed acad keeps substituing a font and I believe that is causing the lag. I'm a bit confused about the console line that pops up even when I'm editing regular polylines and lines:

"Font \\mydirpath\mylinetypeshapefile.shx substituted for mylinetypeshapefile.shx."

The shape file being referenced in the console is only used for custom linetypes and does not have fonts in it. Why does ACAD call it a "font"? Does the drawing have some setting that is trying to force a text-object to use a linetype related shape file as a font? ANY help is greatly appreciated.

- F

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
imadHabash
in reply to: Buzz0m

Hi,

you may find some answers here in this AKN article . >> Click <<

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @Buzz0m,

To create complex linetypes with special characters, one must first define the shape in a SHP file and compile that shapefile into a SHX file that can be referenced by the linetype defiiniton.

Can you share the SHP, SHX and Dwg files on a post so I can take a look at why this might be popping up all the time and slowing the performance of your editing session?

One alternative if you do not need those specific linetypes is to select them and change them to ones that are pre-defined in AutoCAD or that you can change to complex ones without the shape(s).

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @Buzz0m, Did you resolve your linetype problem? If not, I am happy to help. Please shear some files with me and more detail on what you need to keep or what can be removed.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 6
Buzz0m
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi,

the file itself is 30Mb (I know!!) and is a C3D-file, which has a lot of datashortcutted object so I'm a bit reluctant to sending over the file itselft. The shape files (shp and shx) and themselves aren't corrupt since I know they work on other drawings.

After double checking the steps in the link @imadHabash provided I found that I had made a wrong assumption when I "inherited" the file. The project is being done in c2016 and my sfsp's were outdated since I haven't used that version in a while. I don't think that was the root problem since I manually defined the missing shape files when the software prompted for it. After I updated the SFSPs and opened the problematic dwg again the console is spewing out this (only when opening the dwg):

"myshapfiledirectory/myshapefile.shx is a shape file, not a text font file."

I'm guessing that somewhere  might be a font that is trying to reference my custom linetype related shapefile? If so, how do I figure out which one it is and clear the problem?

Also, the original text ("myshapfiledirectory/myshapefile.shx is a shape file, not a text font file...") is still coming up on the console when I'm editing linework with custom linetype definitions.

I found some info here Old post 1

and some here (this one is better I think) Bad linetypes (being civil blog)

Sidenote: I did run a regapp cleanup on the directory where the file is and the tool remover 14million regapp ids... I believe that improved the dwg behaviour a bit.

Thanks for your help so far. If I'm going in the wrong direction feel free to point that out 😃

Message 6 of 6
Buzz0m

This tip seem to have solved my problem.

http://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=1483

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report