Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor Plan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
318 Views, 4 Replies

Floor Plan

I the Autocad 2015 I am supposed to be making a house floorplan. What is the easiest way to make walls, with out doing tons of math? What I mean is it wants me to make a wall 7'4" from he top left corner, which the wall is going to be 9'. But the actual side of the house is 2'9" from the Zero, so there is SO much calculating.

Any help?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jherbst
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I the Autocad 2015 I am supposed to be making a house floorplan. What is the easiest way to make walls, with out doing tons of math? What I mean is it wants me to make a wall 7'4" from he top left corner, which the wall is going to be 9'. But the actual side of the house is 2'9" from the Zero, so there is SO much calculating.

Any help?

The assignment that you are working on is most likely intended, in addition to the CAD piece, to get you very comfortable with SO much calculating.  If this is too much for you, you may want to consider another career path; AutoCAD is pretty much a really expensive graphing calculator.  Basic arithmetic is all your assignment is.  

Message 3 of 5
Kent1Cooper

If you're drawing such things with Lines, OFFSET, COPY, etc., followed by TRIM, FILLET, EXTEND, etc. make it pretty easy without calculating anything.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 5
pendean

I think you are over-thinking your assignment well before you dive in and start drafting.

Get started: and remember, unlike real life, you can MOVE anything and everything you draw after you draw it.
Message 5 of 5
BeKirra

As others said, you can start the wall anywhere you like. Once it is drawn, you can use "move" command to move the wall to the place you desired.

For 2d drawing, you may use "pline", "line" or "rectangle" command to create wall. You can give them a try then find out what command suits you in a particular case.

Note: "pline" is a shortcut of "polyline". You can use both for the command.

If you use "pline" or "line" for drawing walls, "copy" or "offset" is the command to create wall thickness.

Now you can see the use of AutoCAD command is very straightforward.

"Rectangle" is more useful for drawing a piece of straight wall.

For example, supposed you are drawing a horizontal wall on the screen, follow the steps below:

1) Start "rectangle" command,

2) Select the 1st point on the screen,

3) Enter "@5000,100" without the brackets here. The "5000" is the wall length while the "100" is the wall thickness.

You see there is not much calculation involved in this example.

BTW, you can use "@X,Y" for "move" command as well. "X and "Y" represent the coordinates values from the 1st selected.

When you are going to calculate a distance between 2 points, you may be surprised by using the "dist" command for measuring the distance.

"Rotate" is another useful command.

You may look into the HELP for more details about these commands.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost